Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My Pavilion desktop came with Radeon Adrenaline software, which I upgrade to the latest software edition two days ago. Booting up today, I got an error message telling me a particular driver was missing and when I checked I saw that the old Radeon version was running.

Two days ago the version I installed with the full version from Radeon because there was an issue upgrading from the earlier software; any idea why it would not load today and the old version was running instead? What should I check?

I went to the Radeon website this morning to re-download the software.

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@hpinvegas 

One of the serious liabilities in running Win10 is that it forces driver updates -- without your knowledge and without your consent.  So, my guess is that it forced the reinstallation of the older driver version after it detected the updated version.

Consider disabling future driver updates using the information in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

Note: I have disabled driver updates on ALL my Win10 PCs, and life under Win10 has been a lot more pleasant every since!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I will consider disabling driver updates, although this was one I did on my own. I reinstalled the Radeon software yesterday and again, today, the old version is running instead.

Frustrating...

HP Recommended

@hpinvegas 

Most likely, MS is automatically reinstalling the older driver -- and to prevent that, you need to disable Windows Update from doing driver updates.  

You should also check the Radeon settings to see if you have auto updates enabled in that, as well.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I am running Windows 10 home edition and the local group policy editor is not available on my PC; that would have been very easy. I'm not quite the computer expert to start fiddling with the registry. Any other thoughts? 

I started noticing this problem a few weeks ago: when I turn the computer on, after I get the HP logo on the grey background, the computer does not load the Windows opening picture; all I get is a darker screen with my cursor arrow. It hangs there. I need to shut the computer down, reboot and then that seems to solve the issue. The picture appears, I enter my password and the desktop loads.

This led me to believe it may be an issue with my graphics card. My Radeon is a version or two behind the latest recommended version. It is enabled for updates. When I look at the error log, it says there was a problem with the graphics card.

The other thing I'm noticing is my HP Hardware Diagnostics does not run; I have the latest version - it just hangs there as a white box. Nothing happens.

When I update through the HP support assistant, it would check things like BIOS, correct? Could there be a bigger problem here? 

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.