Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
500-314
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Someone help me out. 

This onboard wifi adapter is accepting frequency at 2.5 ghz. There's a PCI express version of this one as well. 

I'm in a corner of our house and my wifi cuts out on rare occasion.

I was looking at the driver details, above update driver in device manager<wifi adapter.

A windows and a qualcomm driver is installed, but I cannot choose one through this screen.

In the name "802.11b|g|n" what are these letters? 

The letter n, from what I understand, accepts a 5 ghz frequency.

Can someone announce their third-party software they use for this wifi adapters settings access?

Is there a known driver other than the most recent update from HP that would be reliable and well known? 

Driver date: 3/26/2016 Version 3.0.2.201 Qualcomm athw8x.sys [default driver]

other Driver: File version: 10.0.16299.15 Microsoft vwifibus.sys [not changable here]

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@csaimwrote:

,,, The letter n, from what I understand, accepts a 5 ghz frequency.

Hi,

No, in this case no. It only accept 2.4GHz networks only. Its specs:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04293928

The PCIe slot is already occupied by this card. Since your machine is a desktop, you can easily to add an antenna to boost signals or if you wish replace the wireless card.  Your machine was built early 2014 therefore it may have same whitelist as laptops. The following options helps

https://nerdtechy.com/best-pci-wireless-adapters-reviews

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

802.11n mode is the option I would like to understand more about. In properties, I am locked out of selecting drivers.

Can you tell me how I can access these features on Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n?

HP Recommended

Here is what I have done for now. I have viewed a thread and someone changed this setting in the advanced settings tab. I will see if I get a wider signal from my router and test it out and post some information here. If it doesn't work I will update my dated driver and look for third party hardware management software if there are further settings.

276266d1486604309t-help-speeding-up-atheros-ar9485-laptop-wifi-please-atheros

HP Recommended

Alright, So the thing is that this mode seems to be less obstructed which leads me to believe it is using a different band or maybe just a different channel from my wireless router.

This  may be a good enough solution because 2 bars of signal is high enough quality for my wifi if it stays there and I don't need to leave my door open to get good signal.

HP Recommended

yes, Banhien You are right. Actually I used to face the same issue but later on I could able to fix it. Thanks for this much of good knowledge you provided here. I checked the website you mentioned above. One more thing I also checked https://www.pickmyrouter.com/best-pci-wireless-cards-desktop-computers/. Again this guy also providing great knowledge. I found it really helpful and very informative. It's been over 2 months now after upgraded my wireless adapter. 

Finall I am happy that i have no issue with this wifi adapter I chose. Thank you so much for your solution..  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.