Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z420 (Older version ~2012?)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I just did a fresh OS install {Windows 10 Pro x64}  on a new SSD {Samsung 850PRO} and the SAS Controller driver is missing (from what Device Manager is showing). I can't seem to find it anywhere, all the other drivers were installed via a 3rd party auto driver detect/install software because I couldn't use the HP platform to find the original ones (all I can find are the drivers for the current Z420)

Please help, I m not sure if this is also linked to the fact that my SSD is telling me AHCI mode is deactivated (in BIOS the {AHCI+RAID} is active.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) Drivers and Graphical User Interface (GUI) for serial ATA (SATA) RAID controllers in supported workstation models that are running a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72212.exe

You may have to manually install the driver if the auto install method doesn't work.

Do not be concerned about the AHCI being deactivated report from the Samsung software.

There is full TRIM support in the mode your PC is running in.

You can TRIM the drive in W10 by running the defragment and optimize drives program.

It will not defragment the drive, it will TRIM it, because W10 knows when a SSD is installed.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please post the hardware ID for the device that needs the driver.

Then I will see if I can find the driver it needs.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply,

Here s the hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&SUBSYS_1589103C&REV_05

HP Recommended

The entire list:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&SUBSYS_1589103C&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&SUBSYS_1589103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&CC_010700
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&CC_0107

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) Drivers and Graphical User Interface (GUI) for serial ATA (SATA) RAID controllers in supported workstation models that are running a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72212.exe

You may have to manually install the driver if the auto install method doesn't work.

Do not be concerned about the AHCI being deactivated report from the Samsung software.

There is full TRIM support in the mode your PC is running in.

You can TRIM the drive in W10 by running the defragment and optimize drives program.

It will not defragment the drive, it will TRIM it, because W10 knows when a SSD is installed.

HP Recommended

Thank you, that worked.

I already 'TRIMed' it, I wasn't sure why the AHCI Mode appears to be Deactivated. 

Thank you again, 

All the best.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You get that report on any PC unless it is an Intel based one with an AHCI mode setting only.

Just ignore it.

IMO, Samsung should modify the software to remove that report.

You even get that report on AMD PC's with AHCI enabled.

The only time the report would be relevant is if someone installed a SSD with a PC that only had an IDE controller setting.

HP Recommended

Roger that, good to know. 

It might be a stretch but could you point me to the latest BIOS version for this Motherboard? 

(hp 1589 c602 motherboard from the Z240 - 2012)

Or just share a link to where I could find all the stuff related to it (drivers & everything) then I won't be bothering people for every piece of driver I can't find. 

Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the W10 driver page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z420-workstation/5225033

HP Recommended

I realize this thread is a year old, but couldn't find anywhere else this issue was being discussed, so I'm trying to revive it:

Just did a clean Win10Pro (v1803) install on a Z420 and saw the missing SAS driver.  I downloaded SP72212 from HP's support site, but when I tried to install it I got the following warning:

"This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install.  Are you sure you want to overwrite the following drivers with the older versions?"

Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller (15.44.0.1010).

The 1803 version of Win10 comes with a 2018 version of the SATA RAID controller, but SP72212 is gonna overwrite that with a 2015 version (4.3.9.1198) when it runs the install (since it appears to install BOTH the SATA RAID & the SAS Controller drivers).

I looked around but couldn't find a 2018 SAS Controller driver to match the existing SATA RAID driver.

What to do??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.