Did you mean: 
annekohl
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

SimpleSave - how to remove old backups.

HP Recommended
SimpleSave 1TB USB drive

I have a 1TB SimpleSave drive that just saved my b*** from a hard drive crash.  I can see from others' questions that I should probably replace it (and I will).  But in the meantime, I'm using it and it's pretty much filled up. 

I'd like to remove some of the previous backups.  How do I do that, i.e. what is the file structure?  Is it as obvious as it looks?  Can I just remove one of the1st-level directories under Backup Files?

>Backup Files

>1         (dated 8/16/2012)

>1

>TP

>V0

>2        (dated 1/2/2013)

>1

>TP

>V0

>3        (dated 9/18/2018, the date I did a full backup just before HD crashed)

>1

>TP

>V0

>4        (dated 9/25/2018, the date I got the system restored & did a new backup)

>1

>TP

>V0

3 REPLIES 3
Flower_Bud
Retired
Retired
5,216 5,204 272 397
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@annekohl

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you wish to remove the backed up files 

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, 

It does not have an option to delete a particular file from backed up files but you could override the files or you could format the hard drive. 

You could refer to the user guide for more information: Click here

Hope this answers your query,

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

0 Kudos
annekohl
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud, 

Your response didn't really address my question. Let me try again...

1) I've read the user guide and I know the software doesn't have functionality for removing flies or backups.  My hope is to do that manually by operating directly on the SimpleSave file structure AND for the device to continue doing backups as it has been. 

I don't understand what you mean by "overriding the files", but If I reformat the drive, it will no longer function as it does now -- it will be a bare drive.

2) I want to remove a whole previous backup.  I think  the directories directly under the "Backup Files" directory (named "1", "2", "3", and "4") represent individual (probably full) backups.  Is that true?

If I delete one of those directories on the SimpleSave drive (including the various subdirectories), will the backup software will still operate properly or will it choke on the fact that the file structure has been changed?  

If you don't know or can't find out, please say so.

Thanks for your time.

- A

0 Kudos
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,671 22,658 1,360 1,377
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@annekohl

It looks like you were interacting with @Flower_Bud, but she is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

We are researching on your issue and will get back to you within 48 business hours.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation