susnhag
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Total foul up

HP Recommended
HP Split 13-g100 x2 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Working on wifes laptop. May have had the latest Win 10 update last night so not working at all. I can get it to start up, wait about 5 minutes for signin, wait abut 7 minutes for signin to complete, wait aother 5 minutes for a blank screen, then another 5 for it to come up to the startup screen with the various program Icons showing. Cannot get it to do anything after that. Press Windows Icon in lower bar, get an arrow with the rotating dots, for abut 7 minutes, then a notice that it cannot open that, back to black screen with just an arrow showing. Click "Enter" and it might bring back up the startup screen again.

Have tried clicking on the system Icon to get to the update page. Same "Can't open" alert after 5 minutes or so.

Have tried using both the mouse and finger touching the screen. Neither works.

Tried checking with Support, cannot find a way to "Chat" with anybody for suggestions.

Have tried every "This will fix it" I have found on line but they all require a responding system and this one does not allow access to anything.

Have tried the Win Icon & V, and the Win Icon and B, ESC on startup, and would do a full format and reinstall but don't have a copy of the Win 10 to reinstall. Do I have to purchase that?

Any suggestions on how to get around the problem and install any updates needed?

Getting nowhere right now.

4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,074 122,251 20,094 30,818
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Form what I can tell on the support page, your PC originally came with W8 from HP.

Since your PC was previously upgraded to W10, you can reinstall W10 for free at any time by using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For that, select the Download Tool Now button, and make either a bootable USB installation flash drive, or save an ISO file, which you would later burn to a DVD using your DVD burning program's burn ISO option.

When you get to the part where you are asked to enter a product key, you select the 'I don't have a product key' option (Skip), and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then go to your notebook's support page to install the drivers and available software you need.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-split-13-g100-x2-pc/5405588

Otherwise, you can order W8 recovery media for your model under the W8 driver section at the link above.

susnhag
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Went to the MS page listed to download the Win 10 download tool. Tried on my desktop, another laptop running Win 10 and my laptop with Linux. Found it but it never, on any of them, offered the "Accept" or "media for another PC", Language, bit size or Select media.

Went ahead and downloaded anyway, just to see, set the HP to boot from USB and nothing happens. Still same problems. Unable to install.

Any other suggestions? Wife would rather not lose all of the files she has in that computer.

Thanks for trying.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,074 122,251 20,094 30,818
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas for you to try.

I have reinstalled W10 several times using that Media Creation Tool and it has 100% of the time worked for me.

0 Kudos
susnhag
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: One part of the download process not mentioned:

After clicking Run a window asking if you will allow this to make changes to your computer. Click Yes, this will open a list of further steps. Accept, etc. Did that this morning on the desktop and finally got the right download on my USB.

Steps folowed. Set to boot using ISB. Install window appears. Click on "Repair your computer".  Install window reappeears. Click "Next". Install window appears with "Install now" n center and "Repair your computer" in bottom left. Click on "Install now"  and "Setup is starting" appears.  License appears click on "Accept" and "Next". "Which type of installation do you want" window appears.  Click on "Upgrade". Compatabilty report window appears. It reads

The upgrade optio isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media.

If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer ..... calls for a startup in regular fashion and, when statup is complete, continuing with the installation.

The real problem is it doesn't get to the point that there is any response on the screen, just the arrow with the rotating circle showing it's busy. 

Have gotten the Log file c;\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt but can't find anything to learn what that is.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or how to get it to work?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation