Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen obelisk 875-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I need to transfer files and applications from old Gateway I 5 computer to HP obelisk with 256 SSD and 1TB

I have about 680 MB to transfer, but would like to send it to the 1TB as opposed to the 256 SSD.  The best I can tell, the D Drive is not formatted.    I really need some advise on how to proceed.   Any help greatly appreciated.  I'm not greatly experienced in this type of thing.  The laplink program (PC mover cheap version) will only transfer c drive to c drive

Thank you HP community

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Michael1953Oct 

In order to transfer Applications, you have to use specialized software -- and you have to PAY for that.  The one I used most recently with the most success was EaseUS ToDo Easy Transfer.

However, if your OLD PC is running Win7, even if the apps DO transfer (and they might NOT), they might not work properly under Win10.  So, you're risking spending money for something that is eventually, not going to work.

To transfer files, just insert a USB stick into the OLD PC, copy the files and folders to it, insert it into the NEW PC, and copy the files and folders there.  You can BUY apps to do this, but why bother when you can do it for free?

You won't be able to "send the apps" to the 1TB drive -- as they will reinstall in the same relative drive location (the default OS drive) as they were in on the OLD PC.  To move the apps to the 1TB drive, you would have to uninstall each one, and then manually reinstall it, and when doing that, point the reinstall to the 1TB drive -- and be aware that not all Apps let you do that (select a drive during installation).

IF a drive is not formatted, it does not have a drive letter -- as that is assigned when the formatting is done.

If the PC came with the 1TB drive already installed, it will already be formatted -- and while it MIGHT be "D", you would need to double-check that because "D" in preloaded PCs is often the Recovery drive -- and you certainly do NOT want to be writing to that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help

can I copy my pictures, mp3's etc to the D drive using a usb stick?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.