Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DC5100 MT
Microsoft Windows XP

HI

hope someone can help me on this

DC5100 MT has MSwindows XP

Something wrong as to USB ports

If I plug anything into a USB port the device manager shows a unknown USB device

If I try to update or delete that and then try to let P/C find the driver it fails

Tried different types of devices plugged in and all fail

Tried plugging into the 2 front and 6 rear USB ports same results

Went into BIOS ( using F10 on bootup) and I find nothing at all related to USB

Device manager as to USB shows several including generic functions that say they are enabled

Had the P/C on Microsoft's updating website, which updated 98 files but did not solve the problem

What can be done to solve this ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to install the latest chipset driver for that platform.

Download, unzip and run the setup application, then restart the PC.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks for the help and reply

I went to the link you posted and it says :

**Important**
The Intel Chipset Device Software does not install drivers for AGP or USB. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UTILITY IF YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER IS RECOMMENDING IT TO CORRECT AN "AGP DRIVER," "AGP GART," OR "USB DRIVER" ISSUE; IT WILL NOT CORRECT YOUR ISSUE.

I downloaded the ZIP file and from within windows XP ran the setup program

It only ran for less then 30 seconds and said it was done

I do not see any desktop ICON for it being made or anything in programs

Was this only to be done within DOS ?

How do I know it did anything

In any case after doing that the unknown device still show it has no driver and when I try to have it find a driver it fails

as shown in this print screen below and no matter what USB device type I plug in all fail same way

Is there some program I can get that updates USB drivers ?

What else can I try as I need USB ports working ?

Thanks USB-DM.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If nothing happened, then your PC must already have the latest chipset driver installed.

It usually runs, and you see some drivers get installed in the window and then you are prompted to restart the PC afterward.

For the unknown device, click on the details tab and post the hardware ID for it.

From your screenshot, it looks like all of the other USB drivers are installed, including the USB2 drivers.

HP Recommended

Hardware ID all it says is

USB/unknown

Tried also like different USB memory dongles all same results

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas for you to try.

If you can reinstall XP, I guess that would be your best option, or if you have a copy of Windows 7 you can install, that would be even better.

The other thing you can do is shut down, unplug the PC and remove every device and cable connected to it and reset the CMOS by pushing the little yellow clear CMOS button for around 20 seconds, hook everything back up and see if that fixes the issue.

HP Recommended

I did what you posted and also did the reset and it did not solve this USB problem

I went to the HP support site and downloaded a lot of the P/C updates and installed them all and made no difference

HP site no longer supports XP so not much I can do there

Anyone else have any ideas on solving this ?

Thanks

HP Recommended

There is a full set of XP drivers on the dc5100 MT support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-dc5100-microtower-pc/454811

You have to be using Chrome or Edge to access the support pages in W10.

I doubt you can access them using the outdated Chrome browser or IE8.

There are no drivers I see listed that would resolve the issue you are having.

In any event, since you have tried all of those things to no avail, either you will need to reinstall XP/W7 to rule out a software/OS issue, or there is some USB port hardware issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.