Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp z440 work station
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

4usb ports on front working, started with w7pro, have win 10 not 

4 1/2 yrs old, tried device mgr, says up to date and working, not

What now?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

What USB ports (2.0 or 3.0) are out of commission? Back USB. 

The front and back USB ports use different motherboard USB controllers.

My experience troubleshooting hardware has shown Device Manager does not usually detect bad hardware. It will reflect driver problems.

It is possible the MB USB controller has failed if you have a rear I/O USB problem.

It could be a Windows 10 problem. Hard to say. You seem to suggest this started with windows 7.

You would have to try the factory operating system to confirm a hardware problem if this started happening with Windows 10.

Regards

HP Recommended

Front 4 ports, also getting window saying have power surge on USB port

HP Recommended

Hi Hotrodb50,

You seem to have a front USB module problem, or a wiring problem, or a motherboard USB controller problem.

I would reseat connections on the motherboard. The front USB module is probably hardwired.

Or try a replacement part if you can get this.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz and Hotrodb50,

My HPZ440 is suffering from a similar problem.

Front 4 USB ports provide power to external devices but no signal/communication like an external hard disk. 

When plugging the hard disk into the USB ports 2.0 and 3.0 on the back of the machine I receive a power surge pop-up in Windows notifications.

I replaced the front I/O module with another from ebay but the same problem persists.

When looking at the back side of the front I/O module I see 3 cables connected.

Was either of you able to isolate the problem?

Or, should I begin replacing each cable one by one?

HP Recommended

I contacted Microsoft support, they took control of computer,vran several tests, negative results, said I needed to replace front panel, ordered from HP, on back order, no idea when I will see it, hoping it cures problem

HP Recommended

Yeah I agree the problem sounds hardware related and not software.

I believe my problem was caused by water. We had a water leak in the office, a USB cable was dangling from the front I/Os and shorted when touching the ground water. The end of the cable shows some blue oxidation near the contacts.

I tried another USB cable with the same results, and another I/O module with the same results.

My next step is replacing the 3 cables running from the main board and power supply to the front I/O.

HP Recommended

Problem started with win7 and external hard drive, I crashed system, loaded win10, that's when I found real problem, USB ports

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.