Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 11 (9,826 Views)

Updating Bios

[ Edited ]

I have a Pavillion A6200N

I am using Windows 7

I would like to update my Bios (Phoenix Technologies LTD 5.20 10/3/2007) but not sure how.

I checked HP and one is not offered.

Any ideas on how I go about finding and updating my Bios?

Motherboard

MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)

• Manufacturer: ECS
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 11 (9,816 Views)

Re: Updating Bios

[ Edited ]

Hello fredb38, I managed to locate a BIOS update for the motherboard you listed.

You might take a look at the information in the link below and see if it is what you require.

MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS Update    BIOS Link

Here   is a link for the drivers and software for your system.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Message 3 of 11 (9,806 Views)

I am running Windows 7 and it will not install.

Says system does not meet minimum requirements.(9998)

It does not say it will not install because of Window 7 only that it does not meet requirements.

Not sure if their is another way to install the update.

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 11 (9,801 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello fredb38, Sorry to hear that Windows 7 will not allow this BIOS to be used.

That is probably why HP does not show it in the Windows 7 set of BIOS updates.

The chipset or other motherboard components may not be Windows 7 compatible.

The only option I could suggest, but I would not attempt, would be to install Vista and update the BIOS, and then try and reinstall Windows 7.

This approach would be VERY RISKY. If it did not succeed, many motherboards will not allow a backward BIOS version to be flashed, so you might not be able to return to the original BIOS. I would not take that chance.

Unless there is an issue with the current BIOS, and Windows 7 is working properly, I would leave it as it is.

Just because there is a newer version BIOS available, does not always result in a better performing system, and in many cases, a worse performing system.

You might take a look at this  Link  for more information.

Sorry I could be of no help.

Tutor
Message 5 of 11 (9,785 Views)

1250i4BC08BE84EFD68A4

This whole thing started when I would download pictures from my camera to a folder on my computer and after a day or so some of the pictures would start to gray out. Not all but some. I did a little search on Google and found out that many others were having the same problem. We all had the same thing in common. HP Computer, Vista, Windows 7, Pictures.

Found may suggested trys but none worked. Did see that one guy updated his Bios and the problem went away. Thought I would give it a try.

Once the gray shows up the picture is no good. This computer has been doing this for a long time.

Have loaded the same pictures onto my laptop (Windows XP) and all works perfect. That tells me its not the camera, or pictures.

Regents Professor
Message 6 of 11 (9,779 Views)

Hello fredb38, Since you were having this issue before Windows 7, it does seem to be a BIOS issue, and also the other person advised he updated the BIOS and corrected the issue.

I downloaded the BIOS and looked into it, and it has only Windows version files, as opposed to DOS files. That means it cannot be flashed in DOS but only in Windows.

In earlier days you flashed the BIOS in DOS only. Now they start the flash process in Windows and then reboot into DOS.

As I mentioned earlier, you might try reverting to Vista, flash the BIOS, and reinstall Windows 7.

This may or may not work. This BIOS update does address issues with the AMD code in the BIOS.

This would require some time to accomplish, and you would almost certainly be required to revalidate Windows 7, since the last valadation would be for another system as seen by Microsoft, since now it would have another BIOS.

This is easily done via a free 6 minute phone call to Microsoft.

Hope this helps.

Tutor
Message 7 of 11 (9,757 Views)

I was hoping that I could find a bios update from the motherboard maker or Phoenix-Award but nothing is simple. I have looked everywhere but found no help on where to go or how to find it.

Regents Professor
Message 8 of 11 (9,756 Views)

Hello fredb38, I'm sorry to say, that you probably want be able to locate a BIOS other than from HP.

HP uses several different motherboard vendors, Asus (Pegatron), MSI, ECS, just to name a few.

Since these boards are manufactured to HP specifications, and HP writes the BIOS for their boards, you most likely want find a BIOS anywhere other than HP for your HP computer.

At least that has been my experience.

Tutor
Message 9 of 11 (9,752 Views)

After reading all the complants on Google about the picture problem you would think someone would have an answer by now. Some of the complants go back a year. When you put it all together it comes up as an HP problem, Vista Problem and or Windows 7 problem. At one time I could chat with HP through email but now they want to charge you. I hate to pay someone to fix their problem.

Not really sure if a new HP would solve my problem as I don't really know what is causing the problem..

Top Student
Message 10 of 11 (6,405 Views)

Just in case anyone else has this issue, it ir really simple to flash the BIOS even under Windows 10 Technical Preview.

1. Run the BIOS update until it says to "Close all programs" or something similar.

2. Click the Windows Button and type %temp% and hit enter.

3. Find the folder that contains "winflash.exe" it should look something like "pft275B.tmp"

4. Copy the folder somewhere like your Desktop

5. Right click "winflash.exe" and Run an Administrator.

6. Click "File" then "Update BIOS" and select the file "Net5.27" 

7. Click "Update" and wait a minute. (Don't worry that if it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It will finish)

I hope this helps someone!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation