Did you mean: 
vonpowell
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Updating to latest version of Windows 10

HP Recommended
HP h8-1414 Desktop Envy

I currently have Windows 10 1607.  I have been having trouble updating Windows 10.  After contacting Microsoft, I was told my desktop did not have the required drivers to install the latest version of Windows (17something).  I have been trying to figure out if it is possible to update the drivers on my current system or if I need to buy a new (and possibly not an HP) system.

3 REPLIES 3
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi vonpowell

Trying to solve W10 operating system updates can get very involved.

Legacy drivers or unsupported, integrated MB hardware can cause failed W10 OS updates. HP is not supporting W10 on your system so it is up to Microsoft to give you good drivers.

You are running 1607 so you can't get to 1703 let alone 1709.

It is usually prudent to only connect a mouse and keyboard when trying to install a W10 operating system update.

You can refer to this Microsoft troubleshooting article for error codes and tips on updating W10 to the latest version

There is a chance your PC simply will no longer be able to be updated to the current version of W10.

Added suggestion:

You could try a clean install. I would swap in a different HDD so you don't lose your current W10 installation and data.

You can get W10 version 1709 here using the media creation tool to create a bootable DVD or USB stick.

Tom

0 Kudos
vonpowell
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tom - Thanks for the tips.  You confirm what I have suspected: it is probably time for a new computer.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You're welcome.

You could always try a clean install of W10 if you have a spare HDD or SSD and time to kill.

Don't try a clean install on the current HDD as you may be in trouble if the installation fails. How much trouble a failed W10 clean installation can do depends on whether you have known good, and recoverable, backup images of the current W10 installation and you back up data on a regular basis.

I would be interested to know if a clean install works.

You have a digital license to install W10 on your PC for the remaining life of the PC.

Tom

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation