gmcneil1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Upgrade existing or purchase new?

HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an old HP touchsmart desktop (8-10yrs old). It has an Intel Core(TM)duo CPU T580@2.16Ghz , 4 GB RAM, system is 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor.

It has slowed down to the point of taking minutes to accomplish anything with programs freezing at times.

We have only used 255GB of the 454 available.

Any advice on whether I should upgrade the drive and memory and processor or just purchase new??

I’m not very tech savvy!
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,594 32,494 2,956 7,259
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gmcneil1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

From your description, if the hard drive in your PC is the original one, the problems sound like the drive is failing -- which is not surprising with a drive that old.

Nothing short of replacing the drive is going to "fix" that problem.

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drive:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If that is not possible, as is the case where the BIOS is too old to offer that function, then do the following:
1) When rebooting the PC, keep pressing F2 repeatedly.  That should eventually bring up a Diagnostics menu.
2) Select the option to test the hard drive.

If the diagnostics fail, your drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ... whether I should upgrade the drive and memory and processor ?

Yes, no, no.

4GB of RAM is plenty, given that you probably are not a "gamer" requiring a "high-performance" system.

Any replacement processor would be around 3.0 Ghz -- only 50% faster.

I definitely agree with @WAWood.

If your disk-drive is still "barely" working, consider using "disk-cloning" software, to copy the disk-drive, block-for-block, onto a new disk-drive.  This is much quicker than reinstalling Windows and your programs and your personal files, and it should copy 100% onto the new disk-drive.

Would you drive your automobile on "bald" tires that are 8 to 10 years old?  With sun-cracked sidewalls?

Or, would you replace them, before they "blow", unexpectedly ?

P.S. Open-up the computer, and take a can of compressed-air, and give the interior a good "blow-job", to remove all the dust, because a layer of dust is like a blanket -- keeping unwanted heat on your processor & motherboard. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation