Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Slimline 290-p0043w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ive already uprgraded my ram to a total of 8 gb, which now it runs a lot faster, but i have a need for speed i guess you could say. Anyway im looking to get a graphics card to install it, i just dont know all the lingo and specs my 290-p0043w can handle. Ive already looked at the specs of it, but like i said i dont understand it. Sure i can research it, but id like to know exactly what it can handle. I was looking at a nvidia quadro k420 low profile which has 2 gigs on it. Would that work? Also the specs say at most it can handle 8 gb rams, but crucial told me 32 gbs. Does it mean i can use two 8 gb ram sticks? Any info is of course apreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ImBadWithNames -- is this your computer: HP Slimline 290-p0043w Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

That document, probably a few years ago, says that your computer has 2 sockets for DDR4 RAM, with a maximum of 8 GB per socket.  I have no idea whether the CRUCIAL site has more-recent information, namely a maximum of 32 GB.

The standard disk-drive is 500 GB, at 7200 RPM. 

Are you currently using much less than 50% of its capacity?

If so, I think that you should upgrade to a 240/250/256 GB SSD, to make your input/output much faster.

But, a 500 GB SSD may be only a few dollars moer than the smaller-capacity SSD.

That probably is the least-expensive upgrade that you can make, and you will still have free disk-space.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback, yeah my storage isnt a problem. It is a 500gb ssd from seagate, i checked it out when i took the pc apart. Im using probably less than 25% of the storage. I know this pc isnt really built for gaming, but im wanying to make a switch from console to pc. Which is why i was mainly asking about the nvidia 420 quadro low profile graphics card, since i know that some pcs cant handle certain parts due to hardware limitation, for example if i did try to install said graphics card, is there a plug in for it in the mother board?

EDIT: Yeah that is the computer im working with, aside from it now having an extra 4 gb of ram.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.