Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy all in one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I work from home I want to plug in my HP laptop to my new HP Envy all in one home PC to take advantage of the larger/wider screen however I have two issues:

1. I can get them to connect via HDMI cable and switch to the laptop screen on my Envy but the cannot get the aspect ratio fixed. The picture is stretched to fit the Envy's widescreen.

2. The mouse is no issue, but can I somehow pair my new HP Envy all in one keyboard with my laptop (it has an internal USB connection so I can't just switch the dongle from device to device)

Any assistance would be awesome. Thank you!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

We need the model number of the two computers. I am gathering you can somehow get the AIO to act as an external monitor for the laptop? 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the speedy response!

My laptop is an HP EliteBook 840 G3

My new desktop is an HP ENVY Curved all-in-One 34-b1xx

Both units are x64-based

HP Recommended

Thanks - I posted the model numbers. I can connect via HDMI to the AIO however the picture is so stretched it's not functional. I've tried every aspect ratio and display setting I can find to get a better view on the AIO but with no success. To try to get a mirrored image, shared mouse and shared keyboard, I tried the bluetooth connection function on both devices, this works but with several limitations: the mouse loses a little functionality (it won't drag open windows around), I get two large black "banners" left and right of the widescreen display, so I lose a ton of usable screen real estate and the worst piece is that I need to connect to my work via a VPN which totally stops the bluetooth connection from functioning.

Sorry for the essay, but each solution I've tried has presented a variety of challenges to overcome. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Specs for the 840 G3 say it has a Displayport not HDMI. Are you using an adapter? It is possible the HDMI output will not support the very high resolution of the AIO. 

HP Recommended

I am using an HDMI adapter to connect to the displayport, and it works just fine when I connect to any other large or widescreen "monitor" at my office building using the same adapter/displayport set up.

Many, many thannks for your advice and assistance

HP Recommended

But are the other monitors you speak of 4K resolution? 

HP Recommended

I'll have to check, I believe the answer to be yes but I'm working from home today and can't check until Monday. Thanks again for the assist.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.