Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
24 All-in-One PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New PC with 128GB SSD and 1T HD.  Have not opened the box yet.  Is the SSD "large enough" for operating system, security apps (McAfee Total Protection and Malwarebytes, and possibly Office and email?  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The 128 GB SSD will handle the operating system and some program installations.

You have to be careful where you store data. Data has to go to the HDD.

You will run into storage problems if you install many large programs on the small SSD.

I advise against splitting program installations between the SSD and the HDD. This action creates disk backup and recovery complexities.

I prefer to have a 256 GB to 512 GB SSD as the primary operating system storage device.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The 128 GB SSD will handle the operating system and some program installations.

You have to be careful where you store data. Data has to go to the HDD.

You will run into storage problems if you install many large programs on the small SSD.

I advise against splitting program installations between the SSD and the HDD. This action creates disk backup and recovery complexities.

I prefer to have a 256 GB to 512 GB SSD as the primary operating system storage device.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  It pretty much confirms my thinking.  I would store my Office files (and all other apps' files too) on the HD and only have the app installations on the SDD.  However, I understand I should probably leave maybe 20% of the SDD free for updates and such so maybe only fill to about 100 GB or a bit more?  Therefore, I was wondering which apps should have priority.  After the OS, I was thinking, in order, security apps, then email (I guess the storage emails would have to be with the app?), then Office, and that would probably be all I'd have room for?  

HP Recommended

Hi Bob731,

You're very welcome.

Install stuff you need to use consistently on the small SSD. Office, Anti-malware, and other frequently used programs.

A 128 GB SSD places limits on data storage and large program installations.

Yes, leave open space on the small SSD for various reasons.

Watch disk usage on the 128 GB SSD.

Run Storage sense to remove Windows update stuff left behind after a confirmed, successful, Windows update. Windows updates sometimes leave GB's of detritus which can be removed after confirming the update is good. 

You can configure Storage Sense to auto run.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.