Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought a HP Z640 and I tried to install Windows 10 on it. The Installer does not work, it does not show my Harddrive (or SSD), so I can't pick what to wipe and use as drive for the OS

I do have the option of installing some kind of driver, but the drivers I found on the website of HP were all .exe files and I am pretty sure that this kind of dialogue wants other file formats. 

Where do I get the necessary driver files? 

As additional information: I had a Ubuntu running on that machine briefly, but wanted to wipe the drive again and try a Windows. I don't think that that should matter, because the ubuntu made some partitions, but the installer should see the drives, and allow me to wipe them, or make new partitions, regardless wether the partitions or formatted in a way that windows understands. 

I made the USB-Stick with Win10 on it myself with some kind of standard microsoft tool for that. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you need the storage controller driver, I have zipped it up and attached it below.

Download and unzip the attached driver file to its folder.

Copy the file contents of the folder to a USB flash drive.

At the load driver screen, click on the Load Driver option and browse to the USB flash drive with the drivers on it.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.  Click Next and hopefully, W10 will find the drive and install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.