Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p7-1206
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been getting a black screen with the moving dot circle every time I start my HP desktop, which moves on to "Restoring to your previous version of Windows (v7). Yesterday, Microsoft Support helped download Windows 10 version 1607 upgrade (from 1511).  Download failed. Now, MS tells me that the HP desktop I have doesn't have the necessary components (drivers?) to install v1607. MS wants me to clean my computer of everything (inlcuding programs) to install v1607. I do have all backed up on external hard drive, but cannot imagine how much time and effort this would take.

Note that the MS upgrade is automatic and cannot be cancelled, so it will keep trying to do this download. Is HP going to test my  Pavillion p7-1206 so that it may be used with Windows 10 v 1607?  If not, is there a solution to running the Windows 10 version 1511 succesfully without getting the black screen and "restoring" message? BTW, I have HP support assistant insalled and have plenty of memory.)

I love my HP desktop and I also like Windows 10. Help! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@LizL778

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Your PC came with Win7 and unfortunately, HP does not supply Win10 drivers for it.  Win7 PCs had a generally hard time with the initial Win10 Upgrade, and it looks like each new version, causes more and more of them to fail subsequent version upgrades.  The next Upgrade -- to version 1703 -- is coming out in early April, so if your PC will not Upgrade to 1607, that does not look good for 1703.

What MS is saying is only partly true.  While it's true that you don't have Win10 HP drivers, there is really no reason why this should prevent either downloading the Upgrade or running it.

So, what are you running now -- Win10 version 1511, or Win7?

Also, HOW did you do the Win10 Upgrade download?

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick and informative reply. I upgraded using the MS Windows 10 download from their website that was supplied a couple of weeks before the free upgrade from 7 to 10  period ended. It installed perfectly and all has worked well since then.

About a  month ago I started experiencing problems. Black screens every time I started the computer. Yesterday, I allowed the MS tech to take over the computer. He uninstalled some files and installed v 1607. I left the computer when it hit 80% complete, so I do know what happened.

I am wondering if the problems coincided with MS starting to do the auto download of v 1607? I have a level 2 consult with an MS tech set for Saturday. I am inclined to keep Windows 10 v 1511 and ask the tech if he/she can prevent v1607 from auto downloading. I understand that users of Windows 10 cannot cancel any Windows downloads; just adjust the timeframe for doing so.

So right now, my computer is acting hinky.  Delay when typing, delay when using functions. I am becoming very concerned. Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

HP Recommended

@LizL778

My own opinion of MS support is abysmal -- due entirely to my poor experiences with them -- but that does not mean they are all bad, maybe just the ones I encountered.

That said, I have no way of knowing what changes they made to your PC while remoted in to it-- and thus, have no way of even guessing what damage they might have done.

The typical recommendation for problems like this -- when Win10 works fine for a while and then starts behaving badly -- is to check for recent driver updates.  Some recent updates were later shown to have problems and if you have one of those applied, that could be a big part of the problem.  But ... it's a lot of work to go back through Windows Updates, find the driver updates and remove them -- with no guarantee that will fix the problems.

Another possibility which is just about as good is doing a Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello WAWood:

I wanted to follow up to thank you again for the Windows 10 warning and let you know that all is well. The Microsoft  level 2 tech agreed with me that disabling the v 1607 (Anniversary Edition) updates would solve my problems. So, that's what he did. So far, the computer is working great with the W10 v 1511.

All wifi is working except for my HP printer...Officejet Pro 8610. (I love this printer and it still works beautifully, except it will not establish a wifi connection.)  I tried to connect to two different wifi networks...one unsecured and one secured. Printed out reports and found that the secured network needed a filtering change and a MAC address added, which I did throuigh the ISP. No luck. Still, cannot understand why it won't connect to the unsecured network, which is working, because I checked it with my Kindle. I got brave and reinstalled the printer software, but that did not help reestablish wifi.

I need to do some scanning work, so now looking for a suitable cable to connect the printer directly with the hard drive. It is so frustrating when everything works fine for years, then all of a sudden, problems. The adventure continues!

Liz

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.