Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 27 xa0032naPC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new to The Community so please excuse any ettiquette errors. Just purchased the above HP all in one. The reason i replaced my old HP PC was because i was having numerous problems with latest windows update KB4549951. I have paused the updates on my new machine. Should i let the update proceed? Thanks in anticipation of you advice Terry

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TerryFleetwood 

You're probably best to pause it -- see this article about it:  https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-kb4549951-issues

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your time and advice. I can only pause until approx. 15th May, then windows will insist the update is done. What will solve the issue between now and then? Any advice/guidance would be gratefully received

HP Recommended

@TerryFleetwood 

Solve it -- ONLY if MS actually admits to the problem and issues a new KB which does not have the issues.

They HAVE done that in the past, but there is no guarantee they will do it again.

HP Recommended

Should i download the HP recovery tool just in case there is a problem. My HP is brand new are problems being experienced on new PCs or just older ones or is it random. Once again thank you for your advice

HP Recommended

@TerryFleetwood 

The problems aren't tied to the age of the PCs; instead, it's just that in recent times, MS has produced more and more Windows Updates that trash PCs.

I'm not a fan of factory resets -- not only do you lose everything, you have to do hours, if not days, of Windows Update to get caught up again.  Lot of work for little results.

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.