Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 65XXPavilion p71236s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just tried uploading pictures from my iPhone 7 to my HP computer (windows 10),  Instead of the pictures/videos coming through, it says I need codecs.  What has changed?  What is a reputable site to download?  Are they free?  My windows is updated (that did not change anything).

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I would suspect that the iPhone OS was updated and caused this.  If it has been a while since you tried this, and when it worked before, then that could be the problem,  What iOS version is the iPhone running, now?

It might be a situation of the process being used.  Have you tired using  iTunes to look at the pictures and videos to see and then transfer or just using Windows 10?

BTW: don't start loading codecs until this problem is investigated.  The iPhone OS started using a different file format with  iOS 11 and later.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

'm running 13.2.2;  some pictures come through, but most do not, including videos.  Pictures I took yesterday loaded just fine;  pictures/videos from last week, no.  Not sure what to try (have not tried loading through I-tunes, but never needed to before).  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I just tried it with my iPhone 7, using the Photo app from Windows.  My Windows had not been setup to use the photo app.  After it was installed, and the PC recognized the iPhone it would see them. 

When you put the mouse over the picture that you wish to import, (while in the Photoapp) does it list them as xxxxx.JPG? (xxxxx indicating the variable picture name)  There is a setting in the iPhone to change them to JPG.  I have my iPhone set to "Automatic"   Look at this page and scroll down to the "How to Enable HEIF / HEIC Image Format on iPhone Camera with Image Transfer Compatibility"

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/29/change-iphone-camera-default-image-format-jpeg-heif/

You can look over the part above that heading to verify what they are discussing before that, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It's still not working.  I can load maybe 1 or 2 pictures/videos and than it stops.  I've updated IOS and windows.  I'm not doing anything different.  Even trying to load the same month (ex. July) only gets me a few pics/videos.  We're missing something.  Appreciate your help.  The link you sent didn't offer anything new.

HP Recommended

The only thing I can offer is to try another app or software that can address the iPhone.  There are many software choices to try.  Many vendors offer a trial to retrieve iPhone pictures.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

As much as I appreciate your responses, I wanted suggestions as to safe choices to upload to fix the problem (I know there are lots of choices).  What is a safe app/software to try to fix this problem.  The pictures/videos get loaded to  my computer, but I cannot open them:  it's asking for a codec.  Why the change?  Some pics/videos loaded normally;  others did not. 

Anyone have a suggestion to solve this problem?

HP Recommended

You realize this difficulty is a Windows problem and not a HP problem.  Maybe ask Microsoft or their support form for help.  I do not have an answer.  Sorry

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Like I said, I really appreciate your responses and help.

I know it's a windows/Microsoft and/or HP issue since I can see all the pictures and video loading but cannot open them.  I was/am asking for help to determine which program to upload to fix this problem...so many to choose from and not sure what is safe.  I have already contacted apple first to find a solution;  already planned on trying microsoft. 

If anyone else reading this has any suggestions, please respond.

HP Recommended

The Apple people should be able to answer that, if they respond.  Just curious - has this iPhone and Windows PC been separated by using the phone on a different computer?  Try using a different PC to see if that PC has this same problem.  Better still if you can find a Mac.  If it works with other PC's or a MAC then it is a problem with the Windows on this PC, and we can go from there.  Make sure the other Windows PC is running the same version of Windows as yours.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.