Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 18
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

cd/dvd no longer works only after windows 10 upgrade  work fine before

also no longer in device manager or my computer

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@101help Thanks for posting on HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help get this sorted:

Step 1: See if the drive appears in BIOS

If a window does not open when discs are inserted into the drive and the drive does not display in File Explorer, it might be a problem with the BIOS. The BIOS in your computer manages all communication between the hardware components and the operating system. If the operating system does not recognize the CD/DVD drive, check the BIOS and see if it is recognized there. Use the following steps to access the BIOS:

Use these steps to check the BIOS on Desktop PCs.

1. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn off your computer completely.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup Utility screen displays.

3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Storage tab.

4. Use the arrow keys to select Device Configuration, then press Enter.

5. Look for a CD/DVD drive entry in the Device Configuration sub-screen.

Example of CD/DVD drive listing in desktop BIOS

6. Press the Esc key to exit Device Configuration.

7. Press the Esc key again, press Enter, then press Enter again to Ignore Changes and Exit BIOS.

If there is no CD/DVD drive listed in BIOS, the problem is probably hardware-related.

If a CD/DVD drive name is listed in BIOS, the BIOS recognizes the device and the problem is most likely software-related, however, if it's not listed on the device manager as you've mentioned, here's what you need to do:

the drive is not being detected by Windows. Scan for hardware changes again to attempt to detect the drive. If the drive is still not detected, close Device Manager and skip to Reset the computer power to reset power and reseat the drive cables if necessary.

Step 2: Resetting the BIOS might also resolve this problem. To access the BIOS, turn off the computer, then restart using the following steps:

1. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn off your computer completely.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup Utility screen displays.

To reset the BIOS, use one of the following sets of steps, depending on the type of computer you are using:

• To reset the BIOS on a notebook computer, press F9 to Setup Defaults, press Enter, then press F10 again to Save and Exit.
  • To reset the BIOS on a desktop computer, use the arrow keys to navigate to the File tab, select Apply Defaults and Exit, press Enter, then press Enter again to confirm.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE (Skip to step 3 onward)

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.