Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Microsoft doesn't support transfer on Windows 10.  They refer to a "free" site that is no longer free.  Since I bought an HP to replace an HP, both with Windows 10, why isn't there a easy way to transfer data?  Shouldn't it be part of the regular setup process instructions?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@krismaas2

It depends critically on WHAT you want to transfer between computers.

If all you are trying to transfer is files, then simply using File Explorer and USB sticks will do the job.  And, as mentioned, PC Mover Express will do that, too.

But if what you want to transfer is Applications, you require special utilities to do that, and last time I checked, PC Mover required the Pro version (which you have to purchase) in order to migrate apps.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Your advice is clear and acceptable.  My frustration is why HP isn't more customer oriented.  They know I have been a customer for years, HP knows my current equipment of desktop and printer.  HP knows I was replacing my old computer.  Why not make the setup painless for me?  Why not a site that walks a customer through the process that has to be the same for anyone replacing an older HP?  For example, start with a check list of what I want to do.  Then either provide instructions or better yet, offer to take over my computer and complete the tasks for me.  While their at it, why not send me an empty box for the old HP and recycle it?  It just seems HP is missing an opportunity to build customer loyalty.   If the questionaire was thoughtfully compiled, most of what I described could be done by a computer.  I would pay for the service.

HP Recommended

@GoRightGus

Your presumption that it "would be the same" for all HP customers replacing and old PC with a newer PC is entirely offbase.

The process of migrating from one PC to another requires special software -- which is already available in various forms.  It would not make sense for HP to spend money to duplicate apps that already exist in the marketplace, and in many cases, those apps are free.

Additionally, while you can migrate apps from one OS to another version, there is no guarantee that any of those apps will work, because know one knows that "shortcuts" the app developers took to get their apps to work in the older OS versions.  IF HP provided that software, then HP customers would make the presumption that app migration was "guaranteed" -- and if that did not work, would expect HP to spend huge amounts of time trying to figure out why a particular app, written for a older OS, no longer works in a new OS.

That simply does not make economic sense.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I agree with GoRightGus, i am running into the same problem. I remember when i bought my last HP i was able to transfer files without any problem and it was quite easy.

HP Recommended

@GoRightGus, @Captnflex, @WAWood

Apparently this issue does have an Windows Easy Transfer work around.  See here.  It does involve using an external hard drive. Personally, I use Salamander file utility to sort out the content of the folders (you know it always happens, the wrong file in the wrong folder). Then use an external HD, copied the folders, and re-copied to the new unit.  That way, I only get what I want in the folders.

PS<> I asked the moderators to create a "new" post, as @GoRightGus had appended to a stale 2016 message.  Now, this creates a new OP, and is more revalent.  He can render a Solution flag and Kudo, if he so warrants.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.