Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP slimline desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to access old photos we have on disc. They were originally downloaded onto XP system as jpeg files but now when I put the disc into my new computer which runs on windows 10, the discs show as being empty - I know they're not!! Does anyone know how I can access my files please? Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found some old CD's that were made in the manner you posted.  Some of them will open but the ones that display the characteristics described in the first post do not open.  I vaguely remember that a software used by WinXP could add files to the CD and it was described as using the disk in a fashion similar to a floppy disk.  If the disk was not "finalized" so other PC's could read the disk, then it was left "open".   That is probably what is being found in these conditions.

I have not found a solution, so it would be spectulation on a way to resolve this.

You might look for an old system, that is still running WinXP, to see if that will open the disk.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It is probable that the software used to put the photos on the disk is not recognized by Windows 10.  Try 7Zip to see if that software can read the info.  WinXP used a software made by Roxio to write files to disk, it is possible to find an old application that possibly could read the files if 7Zip cannot.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi  thanks for the reply. Tried to download 7zip but there are too many options and I really don't know what I'm doing. Is there an easier option you can suggest?!!  Many thanks

HP Recommended

I found some old CD's that were made in the manner you posted.  Some of them will open but the ones that display the characteristics described in the first post do not open.  I vaguely remember that a software used by WinXP could add files to the CD and it was described as using the disk in a fashion similar to a floppy disk.  If the disk was not "finalized" so other PC's could read the disk, then it was left "open".   That is probably what is being found in these conditions.

I have not found a solution, so it would be spectulation on a way to resolve this.

You might look for an old system, that is still running WinXP, to see if that will open the disk.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.