Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (2,226 Views)

hp envy phoenix 810 st won't boot

Product Name: HP envy Phoenix 810 ST
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have been regulary plauged with the following issue. Rebooting 1-2X usually fixes it. I go to power the system up and the fan starts up like a blowdryer and has a loud high pitched whine. at this point the PC refuses to boot. When I recognize this starting I force it to power down by holding the power button for 7-8 seconds.  The last attempt to boot the pc lead to the same symptoms but, rebooting did not fix it and it will not boot.

By St. Boogar waiting at the backside door of purgatory, I have had way to many issues with this "gaming" PC. When I initially ordered this last november the mobo fried within 5 days of use. I don't even bother overclocking things. TLDR: I am frustrated by this recuring issue, Please help. 

Retired
Message 2 of 7 (2,194 Views)

Re: hp envy phoenix 810 st won't boot

Hello @mosferatu333,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your desktop computer is not able to boot, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To correct this issue, I recommend following the steps in this document on Computer Does Not Start (Windows 8). This should help to power on your computer again.

If the issue continues, please contact our technical support by clicking the link below to get the support number for your region.

www.hp.com/contacthp/

I hope this helps!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (2,170 Views)

Hey @MechPilot,

So I had the problem occur again last night. The computer started to hang  up a bit so i chose to restart. On restart the issue happened again. I followed your guide but, the only thing that worked to boot it was to leave my backup Hdd unplugged and remove the power cables from the mobo and wait a few seconds to reconnect.  after it reconnected it booted and worked fine. Is this a sign that the PSU  or mobo is potentially faulty?  

Side note, when I first got this pc the mobo was fried in about 5 days and I exchanged it. I only add this comment since the two situations from my perspective appear to be similar and am not sure if this is  a common problem for the product line.  

Also, when gaming while multi tasking, I have over my few months of ownership, had random BSODs which again makes me think the PSU may be a bit anemic for a "gaming" pc. (multi tasking being: Team Speak, steam, hamachi, game, windows music player and a browser open. )

I look forward to your thoughts on this and insight into recuring issues with this product.

Thanks.

Tutor
Message 4 of 7 (1,868 Views)

Wow, you are talking about MY computer!  I, too, had a motherboard that died after the first few days, and now I'm sorely plagued by a computer that sometimes won't boot but has a fan whine like a hair dryer.  I took it to my computer guy (a trusted dad and son shop) after cleaning and trying to reseat the memory myself because my same Envy Phoenix 800-st stopped booting altogether.  They said they drained the motherboard, exchanged the CMOS (but then didn't replace) battery, and they couldn't find anything else wrong.  The computer does sound a little quieter now but it just did the loud fan thing, here just two days later.

Am I looking at a power supply problem here?  I feel like I may have overloaded it with 3T hard disk and 16GB of RAM and all the peripherals, but it was supposed to be my really good computer that would last, purchased less than three years ago.  Was your computer ever fixed? Please update your post!

Thank you!

Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (1,845 Views)

No official response from HP that fixed the problem. To not experience any of the problems I have had to remove my backup drive and extra ram. If I had spare cash I'd buy a better psu.

The fan is annoying when under load. The heat management system seems poorly designed at best. If HP wants to sell gaming systems they will need to step it up.

As a temporary measure just remove the extras until you get a psu with a decent wattage.

Best of luck.
Tutor
Message 6 of 7 (1,831 Views)

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I do think it's a power issue.  I had the same start-up problem again, but now have removed the wireless keyboard and mouse and so far that seems to help.  Ditto for the external storage unit which only gets connected briefly for the backup.  I'm still wondering if a new power supply would be useful, but guess I'll wait until it once again becomes a brick.

Thank you!

Tutor
Message 7 of 7 (1,404 Views)

Re: hp envy phoenix 810 st won't boot SOLVED

After searching the Internet for hours and days, I found that someone mentioned that updating the display driver may help when the computer fan whirs loudly and you have to press Start to reboot. I thought that was funny, but I complied, checked the display driver in Devices and it actually needed an update! I thought all that had been done automatically, but that's not the case. Since updating that one driver, I haven't had another "event," just a miracle for me since I'd had the problem for six months. Give it a try if you're still having problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation