Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

: hp envy phoenix 810 st won't boot

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having the  problem with two HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st CTO machines but updating the display drivers did not work for me.

Is your PC still booting fine after updating your display driver or has the problem returned?

10 REPLIES 10
MerryMarjie
Level 2
14 10 0 3
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, AKFree! The display driver update worked to stop the whirring fan and loud noises. Since that date, I have had one other instance, just a few weeks ago, and I immediately found that the display driver once again needed updating. Believe me, I had tried everything on Google to try to solve the problem when I had it, and that's what helped me. I had even taken it to my computer guy's shop (OK, he does work for others!), and they were also clueless. Now my computer is starting up fine, though it's taking longer and longer as it gets older, so i'm Googling slow boot up for hints.

Have you gone through all of the drivers to check for updates?  (Device Manager, then right click each device, choose Update Driver, and see if any need tweaks.) I now regularly check the category because I want to stay ahead of the problems, and you can see what happens if just one driver is outdated. That's my only advice, but I hope you can find the solution to your problem. I understand the sick feeling that your expensive piece of technology is slowly becoming a door stop!

AKFree
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MerryMarjie!

Yes, I've updated all drivers (helped by a driver update detection software to help to, en masse, identify drivers needing updates) and there were a ton that needed updating. 

After the flurry of driver updates the occurence of the "Jet engine fan" with no booting went from about 60% down to 25%. That's an improvement, but still unacceptble and indicative that something is wrong.

I'm thinking I may have a hardware issue of some sort at this point.  and may need to switch this issue to the Hardware portion of this HP Forum as opposed to software.

Thanks for letting me know your experience - it's been helpful.  I'll let you know if I hit something that works just in case your issue comes back in a way that updating drivers can't fend it oof. But I think I've gone as far as I can go with the "driver update" approach. 

I'm not running the hardware config that originally came with the Desktop.   I updated the hardware almost immediately after purchasing the machine from HP. I doubled the RAM, dropped in a larger capacity hard drive and added a second video card.  I'm wondering if the power supply is able to handle the load, even though the motherboard says clearly the upgrades are within spec of motherboard.  But I guess I can't assume that the power supply provided by HP will allow a maxium spec for the motherboard. They probably only spec the full PC configurations with the hardware configuration that they ship out the door.

Anyway, thanks again and here I go to hardware troubleshooting.  At some point very soon, if I don't get a resolution, I'll just cannibalize it for parts and move on...

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,774 5,014
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AKFree,

That unit shipped with a500W PSU, but offered 2 different Graphic (GPU's) cards.

GeForce GTX 745 (OEM) required 55 Watts and the Radeon R9 270 required150 Watts.

You added what GPU(s).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
AKFree
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I added a second GeForce GTX 745 GPU, but have since removed it under the concern that the additional load of the second card on the power supply was a part of the problem.  So all of my recent troubleshooting has been with the system reverted back to one video card.  I did not roll back the RAM upgrade. I have 32Gb of RAM running on this machine and not the original 16Gb.

I did not understand your reference to "Loaner:"

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Because you removed the 2nd GT745 card, there still might be files left over.

The Recovery option allows you to TWO choices.  It will install the OS only, keeping personal files.  The other is more brutal, a full Recovery, wiping all data files.

Sent you a PM on "Loaner".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
AKFree
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your feedback Provost...

Because I feel I’ve tried everything else, I chose the more “brutal” of the back to bare OS reversion. I then experimented a bit BEFORE updating the OS with Microsoft Critical updates - same problem.  

I also tried a bare OS install using a retail version of Windows just in case something was corrupt with my restore partition software - same problem...

I then updated the MS Critical updates and all drivers with their individual vendor’s software updates - same problem....

Luckily I don’t own a gun so I haven’t blown my brains out quite yet... But I don’t know what else to try at this point.

If this were just one machine, I could deal with it, but I purchased 3 of these “anchors” all at the same time and exact same configuration. Two of them are having this problem horribly (40 - 50% boot failure rate) and the third is having about a 20% failure boot rate - which is livable.

At this point, I’m considering building a couple of machines from scratch and seeing if I can re-use enough of the HP parts to make me feel like I didn’t totally waste thousands of dollars in hardware and my time. Unfortunately reusing the motherboards doesn’t seem like a wise option.

Meanwhile, if anything else comes to mind as a suggestion Provost, please feel free to pass it on.  You could possibly save a life 🙂

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have asked HP to contact you.  Look out for a private PM.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
AKFree
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rick-s
Retired
Retired
2,526 2,501 105 388
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AKFree

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation