Flag Post

i CAN'T INSTALL WINDOWS 10 LATEST IMPORTANT SECURITY UPDATES

HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax000 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I received the following automatic message by  Windows:

"Your device needs the latest security updates
Microsoft can't install important security updates on your PC until you fix the following issues:

• Disk space : You'll need to free up some disk space on your PC (8GB required). Free up space now"

After I tried to free all the space I could on my disk (I also have installed a 60 GB SD, now having 54 GB available),  nevertheless I didn't have enough space on my disk (1 GB was missing), so I uninstalled Office 365 and I got 8+ GB as free space;  I thought that everything would have gone right  with that Windows update.

The update started but, after a while, a message reporting the error code 0x80070070 appeared: I know that means "not enough space on the disk", but now I can't free anything else.

Could you help me please?

Thank you very much.

8 REPLIES 8
ieee488
Level 8
1,263 1,227 38 106
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Run Disk Cleaner.

Also run Windows 10 Update troubleshooter. It can get out of whack.

0 Kudos
ENGHI
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ieee488,

thank you for your message, I've also run Disk Cleaner and I 've uninstalled Office 365, getting 8,5 GB free on my disk. It was supposed to be enough, as the Windows message required 8 GB free for the security update. Nevertheless, one hour after the update started, a new Windows message told me that the security update was not possible, due to code error 0x80070070.

The disk on my laptop is not so big (27,5 GB) and I'm sure the problem is there..but I succeeded in having 8 free GB, so I can't understand the error code message...

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,991 577 1,701
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I've also run Disk Cleaner

Run it again, choosing the "cleanup system files" option.

> I 've uninstalled Office 365,

Try uninstalling other "free" programs, such as Adobe Reader and iTunes,

Uninstall Firefox and Google Chrome, after making a backup of your "bookmarks" in those 2 web-browsers.

Copy your documents/pictures/music folders to an external disk-drive (or USB memory-stick).

Then, delete them from your computer.

If there is a 'C:\Windows.old' folder, you can delete it.  It contains an older release of Windows 10.

Now, how much disk-space is available ?

0 Kudos
ENGHI
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mdklassen,

thank you for your reply, I'll be able to follow and try your suggestions next friday, I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Enghi

0 Kudos
mattbaugh
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. This is a W2M53UA with a 

• 32 GB eMMC

flash drive hard drive.

Here is the link to the laptop

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05214762#AbT0

I have cleared everything I can off of the drive, compressed the drive, run the cleanup and uninstalled apps but still can't get this to install. I also added a 32 gb memory card to the device. 

0 Kudos
ieee488
Level 8
1,263 1,227 38 106
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mattbaugh wrote:

I am having the same issue. This is a W2M53UA with a 

• 32 GB eMMC

flash drive hard drive.

Here is the link to the laptop

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05214762#AbT0

I have cleared everything I can off of the drive, compressed the drive, run the cleanup and uninstalled apps but still can't get this to install. I also added a 32 gb memory card to the device. 

Go into Disk Management and tell us how much space is left in C:\ partition.

You need at least 10 GB.

The other partitions are UEFI and recovery.

The 32 GB microSD won't be of use here.

You need to create a Windows 10 1709 USB flash drive using Microsoft's Media Creator Tool on another PC. And use that USB flash drive to install the updates per https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Not-enough-disk-space-to-even-u...

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,991 577 1,701
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I am having the same issue. This is a W2M53UA with a 32 GB eMMC flash drive hard drive.

Which of the suggestions posted by everybody who responded to the author of this thread have you tried?

> I have cleared everything I can off of the drive, compressed the drive, run the cleanup and uninstalled apps

> but still can't get this to install. I also added a 32 gb memory card to the device. 

Turn off "System Protection", and delete all previous "checkpoints".

Then turn "System Protection" on -- Windows Update will create a checkpoint just before it starts to update.

Turn off "Hiberation", and reboot.

How much unallocated disk-space do you now have?

If you use Google Chrome, access its "settings", and delete all "Temporary Internet Files".

0 Kudos
mattbaugh
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much- this worked great. 

This solution being:

"You need to create a Windows 10 1709 USB flash drive using Microsoft's Media Creator Tool on another PC. And use that USB flash drive to install the updates per https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Not-enough-disk-space-to-even-u... "

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation