Level 3
36 23 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

my windows 10 64 bit computer is running slow, browser very slow too

HP Recommended
HP 251-a110z HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I went into my HP Support troubleshooting area. I ran the troubleshoot on networking and it came back with no issues. Everything else I tried to run troubleshooting on came back with "an error has occured"
Sometimes my programs open very slowly - sometimes not. 
On the internet, I'm using Microsoft Edge  - have also tried Chrome and Firefox. I got rid of chrome because it seemed to draw adware like flies!
All of them start off doing fine but get slower and slower. I have it checked to clear the cache when I close, but sometimes I go to it and clear it anyway - doesn't seem to help much. 
Right now online when I try to type anything it goes one...letter...at...a...time. 😞 
I have Malewarebytes and Windows defender that both show no problems. I've run malewarebytes adware also. and I've upgraded to the latest version of Mwb. 
Any suggestions?
Please talk slowly, I'm not real computer saavy and need things in steps, lol 😄 sorry. 

You can find my books at author.to/SusanHawthorne
4 REPLIES 4
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Meenie50

Did you make a note on what errors are happening when you run Windows troubleshooters? That would be very helpful information.

Are you running the free version or paid version of Malwarebytes? The paid version has real time, always on protection. Windows Defender also has always on real time protection. Running two, always on, Anti-Virus/malware protection modules will cause poor performance.

When did your PC slow down? Your PC is slow regardless of whether you are online or working offline? Is this a true statement?

Grzy

0 Kudos
Meenie50
Author
Level 3
36 23 1 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you make a note on what errors are happening when you run Windows troubleshooters? That would be very helpful information. 

It only said "an error occurred" it didn't say what the error was. However, I went to it again, and it said I had an update to the troubleshooter. I installed that, and now the troubleshooter worked (but I'm still working on solving the problem)
The first thing the troubleshooter told me to do was to go and see if there were new windows updates that needed to be installed. 
I went to Windows Update and there it said all the updates had been installed 
I clicked check updates anyway, and got this: 
Available: 2017-05 Cumulative Update for windows 10 Version 1703 for X64-based systems. (KB4020102) 
Tried to update and it got to 1% and just stopped. 
The troubleshooter sent me to a page that had me download a file, run it and then restart my system, then try the update again. Which I did and now the available update downloaded.. and I'm off to restart my system to see if it has helped. 

Are you running the free version or paid version of Malwarebytes? The paid version has real time, always on protection. Windows Defender also has always on real time protection. Running two, always on, Anti-Virus/malware protection modules will cause poor performance.

I have Malwarebytes Pro - and have the latest pro version. 
When I bought the pro version it said that it could have problems with anti virus programs except windows defender, that it worked fine with windows defender. Has this changed?  If so, what should I do? i.e. which should I turn off, and when should I turn it on? 😕

When did your PC slow down? Your PC is slow regardless of whether you are online or working offline? Is this a true statement?

My windows environment slows at times. For instance sometimes I'll click to open a program like Microsoft Word or Excel, and it will open right up. Other times I have to wait.  (this is whether my browser is open or not)

On the internet, If i delete the browser and reinstall it, it starts off fine. but over a few days begins to get slower and slower until at times I'm watching my typing go in one...letter...at...a... time. Very frustrating. 
I always set the brower to clear the cache when closed. But have tried going to the cache and clearing it to see if it helped - it doesn't. I've tried Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. 

Chrome was awful - I kept getting adware and popups and got rid of that fast. 
Edge and Firefox mostly had the slowing problem I described above. I'm using Edge at the present.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Meenie

I really think you should shut down Windows Defender.

Again, two real time active malware scanners will kill PC performance. Think about this, everything you do is being parsed by two real time anti-virus engines. Your PC is working overtime. 

Try this.

Get back to the forum if this does not solve your problem. You could have other issues. It is best to tackle one problem at a time.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Meenie50
Author
Level 3
36 23 1 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: 

I really couldn't find anyway to turn Windows Defender off, but I did find where you could turn the functions off - however when you do that you get a pop up saying they'll only stay off a short time then turn themselves back on. 
At any rate, it didn't seem to make a difference. 

Now - to add to my woes 🙂 - I got a message I had a new update - "Essential System Windows for Microsoft Windows 10" so I clicked to install. At the end got a message that the update failed. (tried twice with same results) 

I've never had so much constant trouble with a computer before.  
Are there things that might have been put on the computer when they set it up at HP that they might have forgotten to remove? 
Is there a list of files that can be safely removed? (file names used to make sense, now it's impossible to tell what they refer to!) 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation