Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When opening the task manager my cpu usage is usually running between 18 and 60%. Memory steady at 19%. Disk 0%. The top twenty or so lines are in constant shuffling. Periodically AOL will freeze and I go into task manager to end aol task. The constant shuffling makes it difficult the catch the line to end task. I don't remember this as being normal.  It is like twenty tasks trying to be at the front of the line, always changing. Any advise?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @john_2

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the lines are moving constantly in task manager and you are having issues end tasks.

I’d love to help!

I think you are in the performance tab that is the reason why you are seeing the lines. Follow the below steps to end a task on your computer.

Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keyboard combination on your keyboard to open the Windows security screen.

Windows 10 Security Screen

At the security screen, shown above, click on the Task Manager button. This will launch the Windows 10/8 Task Manager as shown below.

Windows 10 Task Manager

You now want to click on the More Details option to show the full list of running processes.

Windows 10 Task Manager More Details

Select the process or program, you wish to terminate by left-clicking on it once so it becomes highlighted as shown in the image above. Once you select a process, the End Task button will become available.

To terminate the program, click on the End Task button and the program will be terminated.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows just did an update which seems to have resolved my task manager problem

HP Recommended

Hi @john_2

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.