Level 3
65 33 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

trying to link products into my Support Assistant

HP Recommended
HP 570-p088
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Folks, i ma trying to link my various devices inot my HP Support Assnt. Howeevr when tryign to link in an HP PSC Printer whihc i know of the S/N and i think i know the Product # they do not get found is there a means of checking out a Product # with a specific S/N and also where si hte Product # on my Scanner, whihc i am also aware of the S/N.

David

3 REPLIES 3
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
32,050 31,755 2,925 10,673
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dsc8w

PSC Printer might be too old -- in particular, if there is not enough support data available for the printer (software, firmware), HPSA is not able to "do anything" about the device even if it can find it.

Same issue might apply to the scanner. 

If both printer and scanner are supported on the network and there are still Software and Driver support for both, then the problem might be something else..

For example:

You could try installing a fresh copy of the HPSA software.  If the issue is due to something "stuck" or if the problem is that the HPSA version needs an update, removing and installing the software may help.

Remove the old version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTE - for "complete" cleanup of the old version of the program:

When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

Download, Save, Install the latest version of the HPSA to your computer

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administratorand install.
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA:

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
734 716 33 173
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What do you mean 'too old'?

My wife's laptop - VAIO from 2008 - is still very well recognised by VAIO Support app, despite the fact that VAIO product line is not supported by SONY anymore?

So if your thesis stands, perhaps HP could do a bit better here - they surely have more experience than SONY?

0 Kudos
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
32,050 31,755 2,925 10,673
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@krzemien

@krzemien wrote:

What do you mean 'too old'?

My wife's laptop - VAIO from 2008 - is still very well recognised by VAIO Support app, despite the fact that VAIO product line is not supported by SONY anymore?

So if your thesis stands, perhaps HP could do a bit better here - they surely have more experience than SONY?

Comments - not to be confused with HP policy or HP statements / documents

Hardly a "thesis" - the wording is meant as "commentary" in nature. 

The subject is whether the HP Support Assistant will (or can) discover older printer hardware for the purpose of providing a centralized information hub for that hardware.

HP Inc. typically provides at least some basic support (documents) for printers and other devices for ten years.  There are perhaps exceptions.

The description "PSC" printer series includes a large number of printers, all of which are "older" by now.   "Too old" is a poorly worded, inaccurate description that is meant to describe the general circumstances:  Older "under" supported devices may not be "discovered" by the HPSA software -- and if such a device is found, the information provided (by the HPSA program) for that device might be of limited value.

PSC printers are in a group of printers for which there is likely no longer full support.  Printers any where near the ten year mark (in age) are frequently not fully supported in the latest Windows Operating version, even if those same printers were originally on the list of "Windows 10" compatible devices.  (Windows 10 has changed in significant ways since its introduction.)

If the printer is no longer provided with the Full Feature Software and / or Firmware updates, then the HPSA software can do little more than perhaps find that device and acknowledge its existence.   Depending on the circumstances, the simple "I see you" acknowledgment might be deemed adequate.

Thanks for your comments - it reminds us to take the time to be careful with our choice of words.

Disclaimer:  I am not an HP employee -- all my comments are my own.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation