Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i understand how to resize images (somewhat). however, when i print them, they are printing as original size. what do i have to do to correct this? i have searched the web in vain, am just not finding info. everything is about resizing only. i am using picture manager. have also tried with paint and photo gallery or something. no one in this house is very computer saavy, PLEASE HELP!!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Are you printing the images directly from Picture Manager? It should give you print size options:

PictureManager1.JPG

See the print size menu on the right side (#1). The default is "Full page photo," which will fill an entire page with your image, regardless of how you've resized it on your computer. The first thing you'll want to do is select a different print size. Scroll down in the menu to see all the options.

Also see #2, "Fit picture to frame." If you are printing a photo in a different aspect ratio (for example, making a 4x6 print of an 8x10 image), the default action of fitting the picture to the frame will crop the sides of image so that it fits within the print size. If you de-select this check box, the image prints in the selected size but without cropping. The preview pane gives you an idea of what it will look like cropped/uncropped.

Please let me know if you would like further information regarding the paper size, quality, and paper type settings, or if you have any other questions about printing images. I hope this helps!

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

Thankyou for your response! Still in need of help!  

I am making a craft project. I have resized my image exactly how i want it to be to fit my project base. (No standard sizes work). I made the image smaller, to fit exactly on my base (a heart). I saw there were even templates with a heart, but have not figured that out yet. I used the percentage button to resize my image, with the ratio set to keep the dimensions correct. I saved the resized image. Then I opened it and printed it. It was smaller, but still not right, not how I have it on the screen and not the right size. It is too big for my heart and wouldn't work. I know it must be something simple, some little step I am missing. I need to know how to tell the printer the new size. I am using picture manager. I have a HP Photosmart Plus B210 series printer. I have picture manager, paint, hp photo viewer, windows photo viewer, media center, photo gallery. I don't understand why resizing, saving, then opening that file, still did not work. It still printed out (smaller than original but) not the size I needed. I also edited the image and saved it with a new size, and my editing changes.

This is truly driving me insane! I have spent hours and hours trying to figure it out for myself, as well as searching the web, and asking for help from different forums. (Not to mention wasting lots of ink!??!!!!)

I Truly would appreciate any help,

SINCERELY,

lamblovegirl    

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that didn't work. I have a better understanding of what you're trying to do with the new details you provided.

Resizing an image on your computer, in most cases and most programs, will not have any effect on the size of the print. If you're old enough to remember back in the day when people used film cameras to create images, you can think about it this way: The image file you have saved on your computer is the negative, and you can make enlargements (print) in any size using that negative. There's nothing to restrict a 4x6 image, for example, in any resolution, from being blown up to 8x10 or shrunk down to 3.5x5, or any other possible size.

As far as I know, the default Windows photo printing dialogue is pretty limited as far as what sizes you can choose. I think I remember (way, way back when I had XP) they used to give you much more control over the size and dimensions of your print. If there is a way to do that now that the size options are more restricted, I'm not aware of it.

Do you have Photoshop, or any advanced photo editing program, on your computer? I know I've been able to set exact custom sizes and make prints using Photoshop. In any photo editing program, if you create a new 8x10 image and place your heart project as a layer within that image, you can resize the layer, so that if you print this new image as an 8x10 the heart will be the correct size. Does that make sense? I can post more details if you want, and if you have a program that can accomplish this.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

I do own a Hp printer...it stopped resizing my documents or images.  I've unplugged for over 1 minute with no improvement, I've restarted my computer with no improvement there either....what else can I do to reset the printer....???

HP Recommended

@lamblovegirl,

I would suggest you use PIXresizer.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.