dantewashere
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

2 year old display died

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27 27-inch Display
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I regularly use this usb-c monitor with my Macbook Pro, and as I was browsing the web (nothing very intense graphically), the monitor went blank. The power light is still on, the panel has power, but none of the pixels will light up. When I hit the menu button, nothing.

I've tried disconnecting everything, powering off for a while, holding down the power button. Still nothing. It's powered on but I can't get it to display anything. After a while it does go into power saving mode, but no on-screen messages will display at all.

I'm assuming it's somehow dead at this point, and I'm now past warranty. It's really frustrating that this monitor at only 2 years old has died. If anyone has a miracle cure, I'd be extremely thankful. 

5 REPLIES 5
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,111 2,619 4,013
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dantewashere If the monitor is powering on but doesn't have a display, perhaps you should connect it to an alternate device and check if that works, that way we'll know if its the macbook pro (display port) causing the issue or if its the monitor itself, I suggest you also update the graphics drivers (if any) and check if that helps.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

dantewashere
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried connecting a Mac mini via HDMI with the same results. Is there a way to restore to factory settings without going through the menu (which I can't see)?

Can I update the drivers with a Mac? I've read the documentation on a pc utility, but are Macs just out of luck?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dantewashere If the OSD menu is working on the monitor, you should be able to reset to factory defaults:
click here for details under page. 20 > Chapter 4 > Operating the Monitor.

If that doesn't help, and an alternate monitor or TV works on your mac device, this is most likely a hardware malfunction with the monitor, 

Let me know how that goes and good luck.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dantewashere
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried connecting a PC to the HDMI input and still nothing. It will not detect a monitor and the monitor menu still doesn’t show so I can’t reset it. My Mac works fine with other usb-c displays.

I just can’t believe that in 2 years a panel could just die like that. Is there anything you can do for me even being out of warranty?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dantewashere Since its a monitor the part replacements aren't something we encourage and hence, I don't have any recommendations on identifying exactly which part requires a replacement as such, hence I personally suggest you consider going for a new monitor upgrade instead, and for more details, you could talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation