Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15t-cc000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had an HP Pavilion - 15t-cc000 CT0, (running WIndows 10 Home, 64) for less than a month and I have a problem I cannot seem to get past.  Anyway, after powering up, I make it as far as the screen with a decorative background. I click the mouse and I get the welcome screen and am prompted for my password. Upon entering my password, it continues to load and then goes to a black screen.

On this black screen, a functional cursor is visible, and moves with my mouse, but there is nothing to click on. Nothing occurs when I press the Windows key. If I hit ctrl-alt-del, I get the "Lock, Switch User, Sign out, Change a password, Task Manager" menu. Task manager seems to work properly, but once I exit this, I am back to the black screen. I can restart, shut down, etc, but each time I boot up, I end up at this exact same place.

So far I have tried...

1. Powering down completely, and booting (with and without power cable) many times with the same result each time.
  2. Restarting from the  "ctrl alt del" menu, multiple times.
  3. Going into the BIOS and running diagnostics. Nothing has shown up as wrong.
  4. Plugging an HDMI cable into the laptop and a television, pressing the monitor button to see if the display settings were off. The best I could do is to either get the television to either mirror the black screen, or be an extension of the blackscreen. I was unable to get a proper "windows" to show up anywhere.

One possible cause: The last thing I remember seeing on the computer was that Windows started an automatic update a few days ago, and I allowed it to continue. I suspect that this may have caused the issue, but I don't know that for a fact.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Please note that Microsoft just released update KB4043292. Check your updates and see if this update is available and applicable to your PC. In WIndows 10, if the update is applicable to your PC, it should install automatically. (I would not install manually if your PC does not install it automatically). Check to see if the update is installed on your updates page. The update is supposed to "fix" the blackscreen at startup problem.

Hope that helps.

T

HP Recommended
I cant get past the black screen, so i cant go to that website! Do you have any other suggestions?
HP Recommended
Having the same exact problem... Did you find a solution? Thank you..
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.