Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 24 All-in-One PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This problem started up about a month ago, went away, and now is back consistently.

After a cold startup and my PC has been running for ~30mins, a line appears down the length of the screen about 2.5cm from the RH edge. After a few minutes, my mouse cursor jumps into this band and I cannot move it from this. The cursor is active, as items under this band can pop-up/activate/do unintentional things. Eventually, the cursor is freed-up and I am able to use it for a short time, before the cursor jumps into this band again. This may continue for some time before it remains consistently in this band. On restarting the PC (using power button to shut down), the band appears almost immediately, before the HP logo. When Windows starts and settles, again I am able to use the mouse for some minutes, before the cursor again jumps into the band. Your advice would be welcome. The PC is only 3 months old and is under warranty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cpl42 If the line appears even at the HP Logo, this is an intermittent hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that while the "frozen" mouse problem was occurring, I substituted my wireless mouse for a USB-cable mouse without any change in the cursor's behaviour. Note that, when I say "frozen", the mouse is actually jittering, and can jump vertically a few cms.

HP Recommended

@cpl42 Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled, here's how to do it (step by step)

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

If the issue persists, please run a hardware test on the device using the below steps to ensure this isn't a hardware malfunction:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher,

Firstly, many thanks for offering those suggestions. As I received them only yesterday, I haven't had much time to determine whether your first suggestion is a long-term fix. At this point that suggestion is working, but as the problem in intermittent in nature it will take me a few days to be sure it really works. All I can offer at this point is that the vertical line on the RHS of the screen is no longer there, and I am able to move the mouse cursor to any point of interest, in other words, all is working normally. I'll report back in a few days' time to let you know how things stand.

Paul.

HP Recommended

@cpl42 That's awesome, please do observe the device for a few days and get back to us with the results,

remember, If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher,

Sadly, your first suggestion to sort out this issue failed after a further hour from my last posting. The RHS line reappeared and within <5 mins of this, the cursor was pinned to it necessitating a hard turn off (hold the power button for 5 secs). I repeated the driver uninstall option one more time, but on restart the line and pinned cursor problem was there from startup.

I've just finished running your second option, the extensive system test, but this failed to report any problems. I noticed that the PC Hardware Diagnostics system did not show the RHS line for the duration of the almost 7 hour scan, but on exiting this, the line was back again (it's a magenta colour, but at other times it's a cyan colour).

At the moment, the RHS line is present, but not as intense as when the cursor is pinned, and I am currently able to move the cursor at will. How long this will hold, I have yet to determine.

Paul.

HP Recommended

@cpl42 Thanks for the update, since you have an HDMI output port on this device, as per your product specifications: click here to verify under I/o ports, could you connect an alternate monitor/TV to this device and check if the issue occurs on it as well? This could help us identify if this is either an issue with the graphics drivers (since the h/w tests have passed) or if the LCD has failed and requires a replacement.

Let me know how that pans out.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, once again, Riddle_Decipher. I do have a small TV that sufficed. The condition with the cursor is reproduced on both screens, but the lower resolution TV screen does not display the vertical line. Let me explain a little further how this very annoying cursor condition manifests itself, as I have had the PC up for several days continuously whilst I did my regular system backups and copy to external storage.

1. The vertical line (1 pixel wide?, usually either magenta or cyan) appears at startup before the HP logo appears. In system diagnostics mode, this line disappears.

2. The line carries over through all screens while starting up. Its intensity varies from strong to half strong during a period of operating in the Win10 environment. At times, the line will disappear for short to quite long periods (several hrs).

3. When the line is absent or at half strength, the mouse cursor works quite normally. When at full strength, the cursor is "stapled" to one of 2 regions: ~5cm from top of screen down the vertical line; ~2.5cm above the bottom of the screen up the vertical line.

4. When "stapled" the mouse cursor is not visible, but instead an irregularly pulsating ~1.5cm diameter partly filled circle is present. If one moves the mouse, the mouse cursor briefly appears outside this circle, but immediately jumps back.

5. The behaviour of this circle is irregular and intermittent. Sometimes one can gain control of the cursor for a few seconds to a few tens of seconds, before it overrides the free cursor. (This circle is not present at 0-1/2 strength of the vertical line.)

6. Whilst pulsating, the circle appears to be doing (occasionally) a left mouse-button click, and possibly a right mouse-button click as various items near these two circle positions are opened and closed. Also, too quickly for me to observe, the circle jumps vertically, as e.g. the bottom tool-bar has been widened.

I hope all this helps you to identify the problem more precisely. It appears that this vertical line and the misbehaving cursor are somehow linked.

Paul.

HP Recommended

@cpl42 If the line appears even at the HP Logo, this is an intermittent hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice, Riddle_Decipher. I'm dubious that this is an intermittent hardware error, as the problem with the vertical line remains throughout the entire up-time of the PC, whereas the misbehaving cursor is intermittent albeit somehow linked with the vertical line's behaviour.

Despite this, I have logged a support call with our Australian HP Support Centre, citing this discussion, and am awaiting their call back. I'll keep you and the forum posted on developments.

Paul.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.