Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-108na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I switch on my PC, it goes to a blank screen and does not display an image in the main. I have to switch of the monitor then switch it on again and then it will work. I have updated the PC and even updated and changed the video display drivers but didn't solve the problem.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Since that PC does not include a monitor, what is the monitor?  Make and model.  Also how is it connected to the desktop?

Also, please indicate your normal startup routine.  Include as many details about what state the PC and monitor are in on startup.  And how do devices behave during startup?

For troubleshooting,disconnect any other devices not essential for the PC to run and perform.  Use only keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. My monitor is a ASUS VP278H 27-inch Monitor and is connected via hdmi. My monitor is in stand by on start up and the only devices connected apart from, keyboard mouse and monitor are some speakers and a camera which includes a microphone. 

Have tried disconnecting devices and holding the power button down for 10 seconds to startup but no luck yet.

HP Recommended

If the monitor is always left on and goes into standby when the computer shuts down, then remains in standby even when the computer starts up, then I would assume the monitor does not recognize the input signal to awake.  I assume you are using HDMI input #1.  Maybe try a display port input instead or power the monitor down when the PC is turned off.

On a side note - how is the power setting in Windows for the monitor set?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yes, I think it does not wake properly although the monitor light has switched from stand by to on there is still a blank screen. I have tried switching to HDMI 2 but have the same result.

The PC is set to high performance, monitor off after 10 mins and sleep after 20 mins.

HP Recommended

That is most interesting.  I have a similar monitor but connected DVI.  It does not behave in that manner.

How does the monitor perform if the PC goes into hibernation and then awakens when the PC awakens?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

It normally would start up okay but think it has started to a blank screen a few times. I have bought this PC a few days ago, second hand and this is the issue I seem to be having with it.

HP Recommended

I tend to believe it is not a Windows or this PC, however.

Please answer the question about hibernation.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just changed the HDMI lead when you mentioned it may not be Windows or the PC and it seems to be working. I have turned it off and on again a few times and all seems to be well. Going to keep an eye on it over the next few days. Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

The PC is still booting up to blank screen occasionally from start up but not when waking up from sleep even though I have change the HDMI cable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.