Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion AA in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My monitor nearly always dims to full dim, after it has been on all day. It happens around 3 to 4 pm.  I have to go to System and turn the display brightness back up. I have checked and rechecked all settings. I do not have the automatic dim for night time turned on.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@blufairy,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sadly, the monitor dimmed down at 4:05 pm today so that solution did not fix it. Had to, as always, go to Settings and change the "change brightness" bar back up to bright from the low level it keeps reverting to, most every afternoon.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, @blufairy,

This seems to be an issue with the Operating system. In this scenario, I would suggest you run a sfc /scannow on your computer.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Once done, restart the computer and then download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant using this link. 

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Finally did the recommended checks and installs this morning.

Nothing was found to be repaired.

I will post once I have used the computer for a bit. By the way, the link to Support Assistant is 404. Had to do a search to find it to download.

HP Recommended

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I thought the fix had solved the problem, but this afternoon the monitor set itself back down to full dim again from brightness in Settings. Had to go in as always, and turn it back up to Bright.

HP Recommended

@blufairy,

In this scenario, I would personally suggest you boot the computer in to the bios and check if it's dull display. 

If the issue does not persisits in the bios then it's most likely a software issue. I would recommend you try to uninstall the graphics card drivers and then update the bios and check if that helps. 

If the issue persists in the bios then this is clearly a possible hardware failure with the PC.

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate these suggestions, but I need detailed instructions on how to boot the computer in to the bios please.

Also how to uninstall the graphics card drivers.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@blufairy,

Please find the instructions on how to access the Bios setup utility: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Turn on the computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.

3. Press F10 to open the BIOS Setup Utility.

For more details, please refer to this HP Article: HP Desktop PCs - BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options

Next thing, regarding uninstalling the graphics card drivers: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.