Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a dv7 series laptop.  I also have an HP elite 2201x monitor that only has a display port connection.  I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI converter, but it doesn't work.  What do I need to do to be able to use this monitor?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I find myself in a similar situation, please some find an answer for this!

HP Recommended

It is my understanding that a video card with DisplayPort output can drive HDMI and DVI monitors with an adapter cable. However the converse, driving a DisplayPort monitor from a DVI or HDMI video card output, doesn't appear to be supported. DisplayPort uses different signaling standards than HDMI and DVI. As far as I can tell, you would need a new laptop with a DisplayPort output to use your HP L2201x LED monitor.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I have an HP 4520 probook laptop and an HDMI card. I have one of the HP LCD wide screen monitors with an VGA, DVI and DP setups. If I understand your answer, I should be able to run from my laptop to the monitor with an HDMI to DVI adapter. Do I understand correctly?

HP Recommended

Correct, you should only need a HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect your Probook 4250s to your HP monitor with DVI input.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hello Frank -

I realize this is a very old topic, but I just bought an HP Split with HDMI output.  I still have an HP Elite L2201x monitor with only a DisplayPort connection.

There's no way to make these two work together?  I have a cable that is HDMI on one side and DisplayPort on the other, but the Split doesn't even seem to recognize that the monitor is there when I have them connected.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

My solution - returned the DP to HDMI adapter and got the HDMI to VGA one ( HP E231i had both).  Lesson learned: pay attention to the order of items on the package.

HP Recommended

You will need an active adapter like that one: https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/hdmi-displayport-converter-4k~HD2DP

The passive adapters/cables make use of the capability of [most] DP outputs to support HDMI signalling as well so that you can connect an HDMI sink (Monitor) to an DP source via them.

They are useless for the reverse.

For that an active adapter is required because most DP sinks will not understand the HDMI signalling.

HP Recommended

Have you tried connecting from "HDMI output to DVI input on monitor instead of DisplayPort? I am in a similar position now. I have a HP monitor which has DisplayPort as well as DVI. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.