Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq LA1951g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Can anyone say if it is possible to run downloaded movies or pictures directly to this monitor with no other connection?   I plug in my thumb drive, however, there is no software in the monitor to read files off the thumb drive.   I even read through the user manual.  Is there any trick or 3rd party device (don't say a regular computer, something much smaller, plug-in..  ) that can be plugged directly into the two USB ports on the monitor and drive video to it?

Thanks so much for any input to get this running.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the User Guide for that monitor

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01938671

It states "USB 2.0 hub with one upstream port (connects to the computer) and two downstream ports(connects to USB devices)"

and "USB cable provided to connect the monitor's USB hub to the USB connector on the computer"

So that means that the USB ports on the monitor are acting as a USB hub for the hosting computer and serve no real USB functions on their own.  Therefore they cannot run video on their own but require a hosting device for that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is the User Guide for that monitor

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01938671

It states "USB 2.0 hub with one upstream port (connects to the computer) and two downstream ports(connects to USB devices)"

and "USB cable provided to connect the monitor's USB hub to the USB connector on the computer"

So that means that the USB ports on the monitor are acting as a USB hub for the hosting computer and serve no real USB functions on their own.  Therefore they cannot run video on their own but require a hosting device for that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Bad news for me, but the reality of the electronics as the monitor was engineered.  Thanks so much for confirming that 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.