Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP L2208w
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I bought a "new" monitor but it would not display the correct resolution settings and when I tried to update the driver, even though I pointed to drivers downloaded form HP, it kept telling me that the Generic Non PnP monitor was the best driver for my system. I allready updated graphic drivers form Intel and can't force the correct monitor.

I just want to user the beste resolution whit this excelente monitor, but just can't get it .... [1680 x 1050 (60Hz) analog input]. Its only avaible  1366x768  60 Hz

The monitor is conected do a "docking station" form a Dell Latitude 5400 laptop (only by VGA cabled - only conection possible to this monitor).

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook is connected to a docking station, you need to make sure you are not trying to update the driver to the laptop's display screen which would also be labeled as a generic PnP monitor.

See if this works...

I have zipped up and attached the monitor driver below.

Unzip the file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.

Click on the HP monitor needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software optiion and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

To make sure you are updating the right device, this is the hardware ID for the HP monitor the driver supports...

[HP]
%L2208w%=L2208w.Install, Monitor\HWP26FA

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Your sugestion was one of the first thing i have done. After manualy do the update driver to a specific folder (most recente  drivers downloaded from HP), the designation remain the same! Generic monitor .... 

HP Recommended

Hi:

it should have worked if you made sure the hardware ID for the generic monitor you tried to install the driver on matches what I posted showng the hardware ID of the driver setup information file.

If it did, then I have no idea why the driver didn't install.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your idea for fixing the problem!

I just don't know what else to try...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.