Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b155qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b155qd has the following Video Connector listed in the specs:

Video connector

1 HDMI-out 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2 support); 1 HDMI-in 1.4b (with HDCP 1.4 support)

The question is, can a separate laptop be connected to the HDMI-in port so that the HP Envy display can be used as the laptop's monitor?

This link says the HDMI-in port can be used by another device:

https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/hp_all_in_one_desktop_second_monitor.html

If not, then what is the HDMI-in port on the HP Envy used for?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @keith2017,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with HDMI connection. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product Specifications and found that there is HDMI out and HDMI in (To have the computer recognize an HDMI connection, press the HDMI In button when an HDMI cable has been connected in the HDMI port.) available on your PC.

The HDMI-in is to use the screen of your HP ENVY  All-in-One Desktop as an external screen to another computer. I suggest you to refer to the information from this link: HP Desktop PCs - Connecting Monitors and TVs to Your PC (Windows 10, 8, 7)

For more assistance, please go through the User Guide of your PC and scroll down to chapter 4 - Enjoying entertainment features - and look for the section Using Video 

I would suggest you try to connect your PC to a TV and check if that helps.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do not own the HP Envy computer.  So I cannot personally try connecting a laptop to the HP Envy computer.

I would like to buy the HP Envy but I need to know the answer to my question first before I buy it.  If the answer is no, then the HP Envy will not work for my purposes.  

I looked through both of the links you sent in the reply and neither of those asnwer my question.

It would be nice if HP Support has an HP Envy All-In-One computer available ... then it would be easy to just connect a spare laptop into the Envy and see if it works.

Alternatively, I think I should just walk down to my local Best Buy and plug in a laptop into one of their HP Envy display models (and fight with the crazy holiday season traffic).

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please click here for the specifications of the All-in-one computer. 

This All-in-one computer has an HDMI IN port. (Back I/O ports)

Which means that you can use it is a monitor or extend the display from your notebook to this computer. 

It needs to be connected using an HDMI cable on both ends. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chimney_83,

I am hoping you are correct... however, I get a contradictory answer from HP Support Chat (pasted below):

Agent (Fiona R.): "There is no way you can disable the all in one's mother board and use it as a temporary monitor."

Agent (Fiona R.): "I would highly suggest that you should purchase a monitor for your notebook instead."  

-Keith

P.S.  Still have not had a chance to try it on a display model (see my previous post)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if the All-in-one computer has an HDMI IN port you can use it like a monitor. 

Please check the computer specifications thoroughly before making the purchase. 

You can refer to this HP Article to get a better idea. 

This article is for a different model but the procedure is the same. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.