Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have had a HP Omen 870-003na since November 2016 and I am having an issue where I cannot install the latest AMD Drivers as every-time I do it just boot-loops my PC meaning I have to go into safe-mode, completely uninstall any display Drivers and then install older ones again. I've been into contact with AMD support and everything they suggested has not worked.

Basically, I cannot install any drivers past August 2017 (22.19.128.5 Rev.A). I think this is because I am installing them from the AMD Website and not from the HP Software and Driver Downloads page as I can install 2017 drivers that are listed on the HP page but not from the AMD website. 

This would be fine, however the latest AMD GPU Drivers listed is the one  from August 2017 (attached photo) which means that I cannot play newer games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) as they require newer GPU Drivers. 

I am guessing I need a HP specific AMD GPU Driver from 2019/20, but I am not sure where to find them because as I said it just boot-loops whenever I attempt to install them from the AMD Website or using the AMD specific utility.

Specs:

870-003na Motherboard

Intel i5 6600K (3.5GHz)
AMD R9 390X (8GB VRAM)
16 GB RAM

2TB HDD.

120GB SSD (boot-drive)

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

James Smith.

Working Drivers.png

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
what is your windows version (v1703 / v1709) other?
which drivers do you try at Amd?
Sometimes it is impossible to use other drivers than those from HP, but here it surprises me a little.
For games, sometimes, it's not just a question of drivers, but of graphics card model.
what exactly happens with these games, there is an error message, installation problem, gameplay, other?

try :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-870-000-desktop-pc-series/1108...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I am currently on the Windows Home 1903. 

As for the Drivers at AMD, I have tried the following:

and others in-between (Not sure of exact version number/link) - all of which has introduced a boot-loop as mentioned before.
It surprises me too as I am usually quite decent with troubleshooting but I honestly have no idea what's up with this. 

The latest games I tried to install was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) & Call of Duty: Warzone (2020), both of which installed fine but when attempting to run them was met with an error saying "Please use latest Drivers 19.10.2".

I've had no issues with the game-play on games that do not require higher Driver versions. 

Thanks again for the reply, let me know if you need further information.

HP Recommended

did you try the one indicated?
i think it should work
did you try to uninstall the old device drivers completely?
then a new Amd installation?
I can not test because in NVidia, but with them, there is a new installation option, it helped me once!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I haven't tried the one you sent me yet, however even if it does work it is still massively outdated for the games I want to play unfortunately, although I appreciate the help.

Yes, I have tried using AMD's own cleanup tool, I've used DDU to completely remove every trace of the Drivers, restart and then install it like new but even then it just boot-loops. 

I will try the one you sent me and let you know the results, thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hello again, the link to the Driver you sent successfully installed. However it appears to be Driver Version 17.7 which is from 2017 - not 2018 as the HP website says. 
Also, as I mentioned earlier unfortunately even if it was a Driver from 2018 I still wouldn't be able to play games that require 2019+ Drivers.

Thanks for helping me out so far!

HP Recommended

grr sorry ..
yesterday I found a thread on the Hp forum, marked resolved, only, if I understood correctly, the user dropped.
It seems that the amd device drivers can not install, if I could do tests maybe it would be simpler, but there is not possible!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/AMD-Redeon-R9-390X/td-p/7135574
Finding a newer hp driver seems to me that it will be difficult!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

**bleep**, that really isn't good news. Thanks anyway for helping out - I'll see what else there is I can do. 

I'll let you know if I have any news.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.