Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Compaq Evo D510 SFF
Microsoft Windows XP

I am looking for a new graphics card for my Compaq Evo D510 SFF and I'm not sure if there is a maximum amount of VRAM the computer supports. I currently have a 64 MB card in it, and that is also the amount of VRAM in the integrated graphics. Is there a limit to the amount of VRAM the system supports, and if so does anyone know what it is? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The onboard Intel graphics adapter supports a max of 64 MB of system memory.

When you install an AGP video card, the onboard graphics will be disabled.

I don't believe you will find any legacy AGP graphics cards with more than 512 GB of video memory.

I had the slightly newer d530 and used the nVidia geForce 6200 128 MB AGP card in mine.

Another AGP card that would work would be the AMD Radeon 9600.

You may still be able to find these cards in used but tested and working condition on eBay.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

The onboard Intel graphics adapter supports a max of 64 MB of system memory.

When you install an AGP video card, the onboard graphics will be disabled.

I don't believe you will find any legacy AGP graphics cards with more than 512 GB of video memory.

I had the slightly newer d530 and used the nVidia geForce 6200 128 MB AGP card in mine.

Another AGP card that would work would be the AMD Radeon 9600.

You may still be able to find these cards in used but tested and working condition on eBay.

HP Recommended

Alright, this is extremely helpful, thank you so much!

HP Recommended

One more question, would this also apply to PCI cards? Since this system would only fit a low-profile card if I were to get an AGP card, I'm wondering if a PCI card with the same VRAM amounts would work as well (the card I currently have in the system is an nVidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI with 64 MB of VRAM).

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I never used a PCI card before because they provide the worst video performance.

Even AGP is better.

From what I understand, with a PCI card, the onboard video works but you select the card you want as the default adapter, correct?

In any event, your PC should support a PCI video card with more memory as well.

I would look into an AGP card if you can find one.

HP Recommended

Yes, with a PCI card I believe the onboard graphics still work but you select the card you want to use as a default. Good to know that AGP provides better performance, and that I shouldn't have any issues with memory limits with PCI cards either, and I will look further for an AGP card that would fit my needs based on the information you've given me. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Check on eBay for used but tested and working cards.

That's where I got mine from a long time ago.

I also had a d510 once, but fried the motherboard when I put too much arctic silver thermal paste on a processor I upgraded from the one it came with.

It worked great for about 10 minutes and then the conductive thermal paste oozed over the top of the processor and into the motherboard contacts and poof!

HP Recommended

Alright, I will look for cards specified as that. Ah no! That’s disappointing, these are great computers and I’m sure that was not a good feeling at all having that happen. I love my D510, I’ve had it for a little over a year now and have put a lot of work and new parts into it. I’ve owned several old computers and this has always been my favorite one by a long way.

HP Recommended

Idefinitely was not happy about it.

I had my d530 CMT for years.

I installed the fastest processor it could support, a DVI-RW drive, and maxed out the memory, plus the graphics carrd.

I eventually gave away, and upgraded to a dc7800 CMT.

HP Recommended

Oh wow, that's a good setup. When I first got this system it was running Windows ME, which I immediately fixed of course. It had a 20GB HDD, 256MB of memory, and a 2.4GHz Pentium 4. I've since maxed out the memory, installed a 3GHz Pentium 4, a DVD-RW drive, and a wireless card, and have used several hard drives of varying sizes but what I'm currently using and definitely not planning to change out anytime soon is a 512GB SATA SSD, which I installed using a SATA notebook to desktop size drive bay to make it fit in the system, and a SATA to IDE converter. It worked on the first try, doubt that'll ever happen again. My biggest worry about this system is that I use Norton Security, which is apparently going to drop support for XP in 2021, but I should be able to find another suitable antivirus.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.