Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

We have a very old Presario 4550, connected to an old cathode tube display and we also can't find a functional printer with old fashioned connectors. There are two USB ports on the back of the tower - could we connect a more modern display and printer to this tower using the USB ports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @stevekra,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that you are looking for help with the a printer for your older model computer.  I am happy to help with this.

I am assuming the printer connection type you are looking for is an old parallel or Centronics connection.  That connection type is no longer being used in newer printers, and as far as I know has not been for many years, having been replaced by USB, Ethernet and Wireless connections. Any printer with a Centronics connector is going to about as old as the computer you are working with.  

Now it is possible you can get a printer with a USB connection to work, but depending on what operating system you have installed and the capabilities of your USB ports this may also be an issue. Your system is likely using USB 1.x ports, whereas the current standard is 2.x or 3.x. Your hardware and/or OS may not be able to recognize newer devices, and the drivers avaialbe for those devices may be for Windows 8.x or 10. 

I am not saying it is impossible, but that you are going to have some forseeable challenges getting devices to work. You may find that you will need to make a wholesale upgrade to the system to work with newer devices, and it may be better to look at a newer system.

Just my two cents.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi there @stevekra,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that you are looking for help with the a printer for your older model computer.  I am happy to help with this.

I am assuming the printer connection type you are looking for is an old parallel or Centronics connection.  That connection type is no longer being used in newer printers, and as far as I know has not been for many years, having been replaced by USB, Ethernet and Wireless connections. Any printer with a Centronics connector is going to about as old as the computer you are working with.  

Now it is possible you can get a printer with a USB connection to work, but depending on what operating system you have installed and the capabilities of your USB ports this may also be an issue. Your system is likely using USB 1.x ports, whereas the current standard is 2.x or 3.x. Your hardware and/or OS may not be able to recognize newer devices, and the drivers avaialbe for those devices may be for Windows 8.x or 10. 

I am not saying it is impossible, but that you are going to have some forseeable challenges getting devices to work. You may find that you will need to make a wholesale upgrade to the system to work with newer devices, and it may be better to look at a newer system.

Just my two cents.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.