Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have a HPa450n when i tryed to start it today it won't turn on. I checked all the connections and everything was connected. In the back of the computer a green light is on but the computer still does not start .Plus the last month or so the the computer sounded like the fan was running.    
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Try this support document: Resolving Startup Problems .

Do you get any beeps? Just a blank screen but you hear the fan?

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
no beeps, the computer will not start.  the last few week what was happening with the fan is it sounded like it was running at a high rmp every few minutes it would turn on.  On the back of the computer the grreen light by the plug is on but the computer is not getting any power.  thanks for the help   
HP Recommended

I would suggest removing the side panel and making sure all the dust has been removed from the cooling fan areas. Also, you may want to remove and reseat the video card. If you have onboard video, you can try removingthe video card entirely to see if the video card died.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I think you're screwed!

Last month I got back from a three week vaccation. During that time my 2 and a half year old HP desktop computer remained at home unused and unplugged. When I got back I plugged it back into my APC battery back-up surge protector and could not get the PC to turn on.

Before even attempting to contact support I took the unit to a professional tech friend of mine to see what the problem was. We were pretty sure that it was a problem with the power supply so we swapped it with a new on, but it still didn't start. We then swapped the Ram then the Graphics card then unplugged the DVD-drives and finally the Hard-Drives to no succes...

We came to the conclusion that the problem had to be related to the motherboard a/o processor and stopped the trouble-shooting because we'd attemped just about everything humanly possible.

After looking through this forum I understood that I wasn't the only one experiencing this event with HP's faulty machines, so I attempted to contact support on what I beleive is a manufacturing defect with a certain series of HP computers. Boy that was an even bigger head-ache. If any-one has had to deal with HP support they'll understand what I'm talking about.

I clearly stated that I would pay for a replacement motherboard (since my PC is no longer under warranty) but before so, I would like information on the motherboard model, information on this common and known issue and assurance that it wouldn't happen again if I were to change it.

It has been two weeks now and HP support has been silent. I've been assured (at least 20 times) that they would get back to me, but they have not, and I am sure that they won't.

Besides my posts getting systematically erased from this forum, HP has shown no interest in my problem with their machine.

Hope you'll have more luck than I, but I doubt it.

Sincerely frustrated,

Djeust

HP Recommended

I have the HP All in One MS227 PC, last Sunday it will not start but it was working fine in the morning my friend said. I tried to move th ecomputer to a different location to use but it would not come back on. I tried the reset method by unplugging and pressing the start button for 45 seconds. The light in the back is a steady green so the power supply is good. What else could be the problem. The fan does not come on or it does not whirr either when trying to turn on afte rleaving unplugged for some time.

HP Recommended

Hello Aemrx,

I understand you are stating that the computer is receiving power but it will not start, is that correct? I will be more than happy to help you.

1.       Locate the F10 key on the keyboard

2.       When you turn the computer on immediately start tapping F10

3.       If successful it should lead you  into the BIOS setup screen

The F10 key is time sensitive so it may not respond on the first go around, so please shut it down and try at least 2 more times to see if anything different happens.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

aemrx,

As this message string was years old, it would be considered stale. You would be better served if you had posted as "new" message. (Appended reply).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
I already did this and had it diagnosed as bad capacitors on the motherboard thanks!
HP Recommended

no **bleep**, this is not helpful at all. There is nothing going to the keyboard or computer at all to get into the settings by pressing f10. thanks anyhow!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.