Flag Post

Computer crashing and problems with display

HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Model: HP Z420 Workstation

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60 GHz  3.60GHz

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 465

Starting yesterday, my computer has had some pretty major issues with the display. I'm here to find out if the issue is the graphics card, or some other thing.  Before yesterday, my computer would crash every now and then while attempting to wake it up from sleep mode. I didn't pay much attention to that at the time because I barely ever actually turned off my computer. I never took a good look at the error codes, but I'm fairly certain they are the same as the ones occurring now. The problem im currently facing is that my screen will get major artifacting, then crash or freeze. The first time this happened, it took a couple restarts to get it working again, it would get part way through booting up, then the screen would artifact and then freeze. Today, my display artifacted, then went to a blue screen, but I could see the computer still trying to recover, though it was still heavily artifacted on the blue screen. The error that shows up when my computer crashes is the following.

928-Fatal PCIe error.

PCIe error detected Slot 2

Completion timeout

As I said earlier, this error may have been showing up for a while, but I can't say for sure.

I have been able to get my display to work again after many restarts. I had it working with an artifacted screen, and now I have it working with no artifacts, but the resolution is now stuck at 800x600.

I am certain that this is in no way a problem with the monitor. I've tested the monitor with another desktop and some consoles with no issues.

I'm fairly certain this is an issue with the graphics card, but I want confirmation before I go off and buy a new graphics card I might not need. Thanks.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation