Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 23-k210na TouchSmart All-In-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm WFH and have trouble connecting a second monitor to my PC.
I use HP ENVY Recline 23-k210na TouchSmart All-In-One Desktop PC as my main monitor and wanted to add an additional screen via DVI to HDMI cable but for some weird reason it's not working and the PC is not detecting the 2nd monitor. There is a HDMI button on the bottom of the screen and I tried pressing it but the PC still does not detect the other monitor.
Do you know what else I can do to fix it? I checked answers to similar questions in this forum and there was a mention about an adaptor but the link to further information is no longer valid so I'm not sure what type of adaptor I should use.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@anneliza1
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Select a connection type based on your second monitor.

• Monitor: VGA  or DVI  cable

• TV: Video (composite)  or S-video  cable

• High Definition TV: DVI  or HDMI  cable

2. Connect the TV or monitor to the computer using the cable you chose.

3. Connect a power cable to the TV or monitor, and then turn it on.

4. TV connections only: Change the TV video input source to match the video source connection from the computer (Line-1, Video-1, HDMI, etc.). Refer to documents that came with the TV for instructions.

Depending on the TV, the image quality might not be as good as that of a monitor.

5. Turn on the computer.

Here are a few things to check:

• Make sure your Monitor input source matches the video source that you are using. On the Monitor remote control, press the Source or Input button. Input 1, HDMI 1, or S-video or similar displays, depending on your Monitor. If your monitor does not have this option, you cannot use it as a second monitor without using special video signal processing (not covered in this document). For more information, refer to the manual for your Monitor.

• If you are using a coaxial or S-video connector, set the desktop screen resolution to 800 x 600 (or less).

• Adjust the aspect ratio to scale the image to the screen you are using.

• Make sure the signal format of the Monitor matches the signal output of the card (for on-board Monitor-output, this setting can be changed in the BIOS). For standard analogue signals, a Monitor accepts either a PAL (Europe) or NTSC (North America) signal.

Click here: https://supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/4370628123001/how-to-set-up-multiple-monitors-in-windo... to know HOW TO SET UP MULTIPLE MONITORS IN WINDOWS 10.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I followed relevant steps from 1 to 5, but unfortunately the PC still does not detect the monitor. The connection type is via DVI cable. When I switch on the monitor the screen says "DVI no signal". I'm confident that I'm using the correct cable but maybe either the cable or the HDMI in button on my HP PC are faulty...  How do I make sure that the HDMI in button is working fine?

HP Recommended

@anneliza1

Thank you for posting back. 

Use the following instructions to open the Component Tests menu in Windows.

1. In Windows, search for HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows and select Run as administrator.

If this app is not on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Hardware Diagnostics website.

selecting Run as administrator

2. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

3. Click the plus sign next to each component to expand the selection.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Component tests menu

Parallel Port Tests - This test lets you select several different parallel ports to test. If the test detects multiple ports, select which parallel port to test. (This test is currently not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics.)

Select one of the following tests, and then click Run once.

• Parallel Port Control Register Check - This 1-minute test checks the parallel control registers.

• Parallel Port Data Register Check - This 1-minute test checks the parallel data registers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

Thanks but I don't have an option to test Parallel Port Tests. As you mentioned in your message, this test is currently not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics. The only video components test I have available are as per the attached screenshot.Video component test.jpg

HP Recommended

@anneliza1

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.