Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Power Pavilion w/ AMD RX 580 Graghics Card
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One of the reasons I join the community is to learn about the types of connection that can be made with the graphics cards that are installing in a variety of computers. Being familar with the DVI type connection, I'm not familar with the HDMI connection. The computer We're hoping to purchase has a RX 580 graghics card with HDMI & display ports, however my monitor (single unit) has a DVI or VGA port. I'm wanting to us the DVI monitor in conjunction with the video card.

I've don't some search which seem to indecate that I can purchase either a HDMI female to DVI male & add a HDMI male to male HDMI cable or  single cable HDMI male to DVI male. The question is, which connection would be better for us or is there anything issue that might occur in doing either one of these conenctions? So are both of these connection or connect goes acceptable for the use with the RX 580 to a DVI monitor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an HDMI to DVI cable such as this one...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Directional-Raspberry-Graphics-Nintendo/dp/B00B2HOJK2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

Just note that no audio will be transmitted, and the PC will probably automatically assign the audio to be output from the HDMI port since it will detect an HDMI connection.

So, go to the windows control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices, and set the PC speakers as the default.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an HDMI to DVI cable such as this one...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Directional-Raspberry-Graphics-Nintendo/dp/B00B2HOJK2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

Just note that no audio will be transmitted, and the PC will probably automatically assign the audio to be output from the HDMI port since it will detect an HDMI connection.

So, go to the windows control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices, and set the PC speakers as the default.

HP Recommended

Thanks kindly Paul as this sets my mind at ease worrying about this connection as I wouldn't be able to purchases an upgraded HDMI capable TV or Monitor. As for the sound I agree that the sound should be forced to the sound board which isntottlay acceptable as the speakers I currently have would be suited for this setup.

I was just concern that I may be missing something with using the HDMI to DVI setup or that the computer to monitor would not recognize this configuration. I'll know more by the end of the week as we have our sights set on a new computer which would be obtained locally.

As always the HP support doesn't get enough credit and the members are very helpful.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Paul, Wanted to update you on this.

I've had the new computer for 6 days running a HDMI to DVI cable (Single Direction) The Bi-Directional was not needed. The conenction was straght forward without issues. Simply plug & Play.

Although I'm currently using the 17'' DVI monitor, I hope to upgrade to an LED/LCD flat screen but it wouldn't be any bigger than my current monitor.

HP Recommended

That's great news.

Thanks for the feedback.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.