Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows Creator overwrites/replaces ATI Radeon HD 4200 driver for HP 2311x monitor after which I no longer have 1920x1080 resolution available.  There are no upgrades to this driver.  I need recommendations for a new video card which will work with Windows Creator.  For now, I have stopped all automatic updates in Windows 10, Version 1607.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problem, @luv2fly!  You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.  Please use "Edit" to remove the Serial # of your computer.  It is not good to put this type of information in posts on forums.

Now, for the video card.  The newer video cards require a minimum of 300W to operate properly and UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  The power supply unit (PSU) in your computer is only 250W.  This will have to be upgraded, also.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.

The last cards not to require UEFI are the GTX 660/670 series.  Your best option is to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  This will save you time, frustrations and money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@luv2fly, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.  There are several models in this series.

HP Recommended

Sorry, old geekster.  I thought all that was in the drop down boxes. 

HP p7-1003w, product QN574AA.  Monitor HP 2311x with AMD ATI Radeon HD 4200 video adapter.  Running Windows 10 Home Ver 1607 64 bit.  OS Build 14393.2035

AMD Athlon II X4 650 Processor 3.2Ghz

8 gig ram

Thanks for your reply and your help.

HP Recommended

No problem, @luv2fly!  You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.  Please use "Edit" to remove the Serial # of your computer.  It is not good to put this type of information in posts on forums.

Now, for the video card.  The newer video cards require a minimum of 300W to operate properly and UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  The power supply unit (PSU) in your computer is only 250W.  This will have to be upgraded, also.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.

The last cards not to require UEFI are the GTX 660/670 series.  Your best option is to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  This will save you time, frustrations and money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you, old_geekster.  I wondered about the S/N when I put it in there and have removed it per your suggestion. 

Thank you for the information.  Just what I needed to know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.