Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline Desktop 450-a114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was successfully using my Slimline Desktop 450-a114 with two monitors last year in the office, and when my company went to work at home, I brought the computer home but because of space, I only used one monitor. I'm now back in the office but I'm having a similar problem that I originally had when attempting to use the DVI-D port to support a second monitor.  I am using a two VGA monitors, but with a DVI-D adapter.  I have changed the monitors that I use on the DVI port, the other monitor used HDMI, so I had a DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and that worked well for years, but only after I installed the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, and selected "Multiple Displays" in the display section. Anyway, neither the machine nor the software recognize that a monitor is plugged into the DVI-D port, and there are no display settings in the BIOS that address any integrated or or other video settings, and I'm at the end of ideas.

I am using the original OS (Windows 10) and since I only do email and spreadsheets, I haven't added any acceleration software.  Only Microsoft updates that are "pushed" have made any changes as far as I know.

One thought is, does DVI-D need positive feedback from the monitor to activate? Because this particular monitor goes to sleep after about 5 seconds if no video signal is present.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

******* SOLVED ******

So the the DVI-D > VGA "adapter" is NOT a converter !

I guess you can only use it if you want to use a VGA cable as an extension cable.

Why would you buy two DVI-D adapters just to use a VGA cable? I have no idea, but that is the only function these adapter can serve for as far as I can tell.

DVI-I is the port type that supports analog video, and you must have that type of port on your computer to use a VGA monitor with a DVI-I > VGA adapter.

The DVI-I has 4 pins around the flat spade connection, and those 4 pins are analog.

See the picture, the top two and the bottom style support analog, the other two DVI-D DO NOT.

54bdb2d5-1ff0-4d97-be4e-8f1aed4cc62f.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Lou-in-USA -- if you hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom-left of your keyboard) and tap the "P" key, and release both keys, does Windows display a menu showing that you have 2 monitors attached?

Or, within Windows "Device Manager", does it list the two monitors?

HP Recommended

No, the Device Manager does not show a second monitor, but that was the case a few years ago, and that's what caused me to do some research, and  why I installed the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, which did show I had two monitors; but for some reason now, even that software doesn't show I have a second monitor.  I tried Windows Key +P and I see that I can select duplicate, extend, etc. but nothing I select starts up the other screen, and "Second screen only" turns off the VGA output to my main screen.

The frustrating part is that this worked a year ago when I was in the office, the only thing that's different is the other monitor I had was HDMI, so I was using a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. I may have to bring the other monitor home to see if that activates the DVI port, but I don't know why that would make any difference.

HP Recommended

@Lou-in-USA --  I tried Windows Key +P and I see that I can select duplicate, extend, etc. but nothing I select starts up the other screen, and "Second screen only" turns off the VGA output to my main screen.

Hmm. The "duplicate" option should have done exactly that -- duplicate the primary display on the other display.

Does your second monitor also have VGA input? Can you connect its VGA-input to the VGA-output from your computer, to prove that the second monitor works?

Does your second monitor have multiple video-inputs (VGA? DVI? HMDI?).

You need to tell that monitor to "listen" to one of those inputs.

HP Recommended

No, the monitor I'm trying to use only has VGA, and I've checked that it works; the monitor at my office that last worked with this computer was only HDMI. But as I said, I am using the appropriate DVI-D adapter...and as far as I can tell, while there are several types of DVI adapters, none of them are interchangeable, and my VGA to DVI-D adapter has the same pin arrangement and fits perfectly,  just as the DVI-D to HDMI adapter I used last year.

s-l300.jpg

HP Recommended

@Lou-in-USA -- is this your computer: HP Slimline 450-a114 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

That page states:  

Video Graphics

Integrated graphics

Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed

Integrated graphics: Intel HD Graphics

DVI and VGA output ports (can be used at the same time)

=============

So, can you borrow a monitor with DVI-input, and try it, with your VGA monitor also connected? If the monitor has multiple video-inputs, e.g., VGA & DVI & HDMI, be sure to tell the monitor to "listen" on the DVI  socket. If the monitor is "listening" on the wrong input, it probably will go "dark" after a few seconds.

HP Recommended

I agree, this is the way it should work, but it doesn't. I can only try my HDMI monitor from the office and see if the that is recognized.  If that works it may mean I have a faulty DVI>VGA adapter, since the DVI>HDMI worked fine when I last used it.

HP Recommended

OK, I hooked up the HDMI monitor with the other adapter I have and it works. So I guess something is wrong with the DVI-D >VGA adapter I bought. ...strange.

HP Recommended

******* SOLVED ******

So the the DVI-D > VGA "adapter" is NOT a converter !

I guess you can only use it if you want to use a VGA cable as an extension cable.

Why would you buy two DVI-D adapters just to use a VGA cable? I have no idea, but that is the only function these adapter can serve for as far as I can tell.

DVI-I is the port type that supports analog video, and you must have that type of port on your computer to use a VGA monitor with a DVI-I > VGA adapter.

The DVI-I has 4 pins around the flat spade connection, and those 4 pins are analog.

See the picture, the top two and the bottom style support analog, the other two DVI-D DO NOT.

54bdb2d5-1ff0-4d97-be4e-8f1aed4cc62f.jpg

HP Recommended

@Lou-in-USA --  the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, which did show I had two monitors; but for some reason now, even that software doesn't show I have a second monitor. 

From HP's web-site: DVI and VGA output ports (can be used at the same time)

So, does that Intel H.D.G.C.P. show that your video-card has two video-output ports, or that you physically have two monitors?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.