Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion P6780t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Replacing old monitor with Samsung Curved using Samung supplied HDMI cable.  Computer is not recognizing the Samsung -- NVIDIA control panel lists only the old monitor and new monitor display is blank.  Have downloaded driver from Samsung, restarted system, and chosen "HDMI PC" mode on the monitor.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In checking out the support page, there are several options involving the graphics

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6700-desktop-pc-series/5035348/model/5061485/docum...

Is there a graphics card installed?  Which one?

Also, I can see a HDMI port on the back panel.  If there is a graphics card installed, then the HDMI port shown in this picute as item #5,  will be inactive.

p6780t_back.jpg

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

In checking out the support page, there are several options involving the graphics

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6700-desktop-pc-series/5035348/model/5061485/docum...

Is there a graphics card installed?  Which one?

Also, I can see a HDMI port on the back panel.  If there is a graphics card installed, then the HDMI port shown in this picute as item #5,  will be inactive.

p6780t_back.jpg

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thank you for your response!  Is a "Graphics Card" and "Display Adapter" the same thing?  If so, I have two listed: "HP RC Mirror Driver" and "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS".  Why would the HDMI port be disabled?  Is it costly to enable it?  The monitor only has an HDMI and a DP connector.  Are there any other options for connecting this monitor to my computer -- adapters or something?

HP Recommended

in answer to the  question, the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS is the graphics card.   If it does not have a HDMI port then some other arrangement needs to be made for the monitor.  The HDMI port that is in the picture I posted is not functioning when the graphics card is installed.  Just something by nature of the beast and cannot be enabled with the graphics card installed.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS may be capable but tell me what ports are available on the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS.  It might have a port that can be converted to HDMI.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your response!  As you can tell, I know next to nothing about computers.  The specifications say this:  

Dual Dual-link DVI Support:
Able to drive the industry's largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560x1600. Available on select GeForce 8800 and 8600 GPUs.

And here is a photo:

HP Recommended

Thanks for the photo.  Those are DVI ports on the card, so a DVI to HDMI adapter should work nicely.  Since the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS is an older card, the type of DVI port might make a difference.  Try one similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM52438/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b3I4HzP_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0...

In the description "Bi-direction HDMI-DVI Adapter, Very convenient for you to connecting from a computer with DVI port to a monitor, HDTV, or projector with HDMI port"

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.