Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is bizarre! this has happened several times the last 3 days. Only had this laptop a few days. Worked great 1st day. 2nd day mouse wouldn't select while using paint 3D. Tried Ctrl + Alt + Del to see if program frozen but no task manager wouldn't pop up. Tried again to do reboot. Nothing. Tried "esc". Nothing. Tried power button. Nothing. Wouldn't even shut off. Tried power button again, then screen went black. But nothing indicating shut down. Power button again, this time "welcome screen" came up  for me to sign in. Used bio fingerprint, and it defaulted immediately to where I was, no start up. The next day in zoom meeting and the Zoom screen froze. Thought it was my network. But my mouse could scroll on another window but I couldn't select anything. Went through same procedures as mentioned above with same results. After selecting the power button 2x and going through black screen and through sign in, ended up right back in zoom meeting. Skipped reboot and even logging into zoom. Was right back in zoom meeting. According to my friends, I never left, they could hear and see me the whole time! This has happened several times now whether in zoom, Google, Edge, Excel, or Paint3D. If there is no fix I'm returning this to Best Buy and considering the overpriced Macbook

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tabbiek_2

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is freezing randomly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, install all the Windows updates (including optional) and test.

Here is how it is done.

1. Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.
  2. Go to settings (gear icon).
  3. Select the Update and Security icon.
  4. Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows)
  5. Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Updated all bios and searched for and installed all updates but laptop just kept freezing. Returned it and got a different laptop.

HP Recommended

@tabbiek_2

Thank you for the update.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.