Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
all in one 21 b0525t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a new PC.  When "paging" through data in Microsoft Access the screen periodically goes black.  It remains black for about a second and then comes back to normal.  I have not been able to reproduce the problem while running any other software.  It happens in a seemingly random fashion, not tied to any particular data.  I applied all the updates to the PC after first powering it on, various drivers, a bios upgrade and the upgrade to Windows 10.0.19042

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE to UPDATE to UPDATE:  Further searching revealed another possibility.  In a Microsoft forum, it was suggested to disable hardware graphics acceleration in Microsoft Office.  This option is under Options, Advanced, Display.  Note that this option does not exist in Microsoft Access but setting it in one program sets it in all of them.  I checked this box and haven't seen the problem since. Why one would need graphics acceleration in Office is beyond me but I'm not an Excel gamer or Word videographer. I'm pretty sure my problem is fixed.  I did a lot of searching but I feel like I found the solution by luck.  Another adventure in PC land.  What did the ancients do without the internet?  How did they fix their computers?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Update:  Several search results for this problem mentioned turning off the Linked State Power Management option of the PCI Express listing in the advanced settings under Edit Power Plan settings.  So far, this has eliminated the screen going black.  So now we move on to the Why? 

I don't know but the blackouts occurred when I was going through data rather quickly (for a human) Perhaps the latency/power balance somehow got out of whack causing the screen to sleep.  It only lasted a second because I was still clicking the mouse/pressing keys.  Turning off this option hopefully eliminated the sleep inducing situation.

Power saving options to fix a display problem?  Only in the world of PCs. 

HP Recommended

UPDATE to UPDATE:  As is often the case in the realm of PC problems, I spoke too soon.  Just as I hit the POST button on the last post, I looked up and saw the user's screen go black.  The problem persists.  It happens using the keyboard or the mouse and it only happens when using the Microsoft Access database.  I have re-installed device drivers and I'm not sure what to try next.  As I said before, this is a fresh out of the box PC ordered directly from HP.  Perhaps someone from HP can assist me?

HP Recommended

UPDATE to UPDATE to UPDATE:  Further searching revealed another possibility.  In a Microsoft forum, it was suggested to disable hardware graphics acceleration in Microsoft Office.  This option is under Options, Advanced, Display.  Note that this option does not exist in Microsoft Access but setting it in one program sets it in all of them.  I checked this box and haven't seen the problem since. Why one would need graphics acceleration in Office is beyond me but I'm not an Excel gamer or Word videographer. I'm pretty sure my problem is fixed.  I did a lot of searching but I feel like I found the solution by luck.  Another adventure in PC land.  What did the ancients do without the internet?  How did they fix their computers?

HP Recommended

@STFH

Welcome to HP Support Community

I'm glad you got this sorted out 😊

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.