Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 27 p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Some applications will not show anything in their windows (white or transparent) while applications are active...most recently a Brother Printer installation comes up with nothing in its install window? I have all the latest W10 pro installed and this issue has been ever since W10 came along.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Timo62 Welcome to HP Community!

Have you reset the computer to release excessive static? If not, use the below steps:

• Ensure your device is OFF.
  • Unplug all the external devices (If any).
  • Disconnect the power cord from the PSU,
  • Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • Connect the power supply (power cord).
  • Press the power button to turn on your desktop.

Meanwhile, here's what you need to do, to attempt a solution:
CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not the problem, the computer works fine. 

Example: my latest brother printers install application window comes up white and I can move it to my other hdmi display and it's also white... And the white window is active because I can move my pointer to a known position (compared to my laptop) and click on say select language... 

Another application is a IP camera VMS application where the application works all but video view windows are all blank... 

I'm stumped with this problem... neither Brother nor Opticam have been able to provide any solution for me. 

HP Recommended

@Timo62

Some Windows files could be corrupted, thus causing this issue

I suggest you perform an SFC scan and then try reinstalling those Apps

Please refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ran the cmd instructions and it did find some corrupt files and said repaired succesfully. Ran Epson installer again and same results...transparent but functioning window on printer app.

HP Recommended

Here's a couple screen shots of what is going on, the white window is the Brother printer install window (same from CD or loaded from net) and the transparent window is the application window from an installed Brother Scan application...both windows seem active but cannot do anything with them?transparent application windowtransparent application windowwhite application windowwhite application window

HP Recommended

@Timo62 That looks like an issue with the Windows OS (system) files, and I suggest you create a new user account to check if that works fine,

Click here for details on how to create a new account

Let me know how that works.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Created a new user with admin profile and same thing, white window with new Brother app install and transparent window with already installed Brother iScan app.

HP Recommended

@Timo62 If the issue is limited to the brother app alone, did you check with the brother support team to identify any known issues and solve it? Also, if creating a new user account hasn't worked, I suggest you create a backup of all your personal data & reset windows using the steps from this link: click here for steps.

Keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Brother is only one of latest apps which don't display correctly (also my Opticam VMS ip camera app has display issues), and yes I've been in touch with both manufacturers about issue and they all threw hands in the air saying nothing they can do and that this is a W10 issue.

I will try the reset of windows at some point, but if my logic is correct my recent upgrade to W10 Pro (from home version) should have done a major reset in OS...am I wrong?

I had W8 on this machine originally but for such a short time that I didn't have these troubled apps back then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.